Workshop Construction

WOW, with that frame work up it looks bigger! Very strange as usually every time you complete a task after the stakes are driven into the ground it looks smaller.....Very nice build.

BradF

Brad

If there comes a day when I say "I didn't go big enough" then it's time to have a yard sale and get rid of things that merely take up space. I think it will meet me needs. I know, famous last words...

Eric

Eric,

Do you have attic trusses over the end without the doors? It looks like it with the closer truss spacing. I am looking into doing the same thing for some storage over a workshop. My planned layout is very similar to yours just smaller. I am limited to 1600sq. ft.

Edit: Just read the first post again and you do have attic trusses.

Last edited:
Mr. Sanford

Scratch that T1-11 idea. The below popped up on my radar and I just won the auction. T1-11 runs $1.12 a square foot. The truckload of pine is right at 50 cents a sq. foot and will do every square inch of my shop and only use half.

I went and looked the auction lot over and don't believe there is a single knot anywhere. I think this wood grades out at "Select & Better". I will need to spring for a scraper to get the chewing gum off. Darn high schoolers :)

Patting myself on the back....

http://www.govdeals.com/...=129&acctid=1873

Last edited:
Make sure you wear a respirator when sawing that stuff. The 100,000 farts locked in those bleachers could be toxic.

Just but the gum side (bottom) inside and be done with it.... though if i was building that beautiful building, I would likely run the boards through the planer on both sides to have a fresh surface? I assume you will paint it to brighten up the room and reflect the lighting better anyway? Gum will be gone in the shavings. Nice find on the auction too!

Eric~

Congratulations!

This is an interesting coincidence because my neighbor Kirk bought (in an auction) our old high school gym seats last year - and I got lots of clear Douglas Fir trimmings perfect for inwales and other "longitudinals" in boats. Several pieces went into White-Wing, in fact.

Now I'm wondering if you're also lucky enough to have a neighbor like mine (same one) with industrial-size planers and shapers (with power feeds, of course). Kirk milled all of my shop siding and flooring from rough-sawn White Pine. All of my interior wall and floor boards are shiplap - so I can easily replace individual boards if ever there's a really bad spill or the like. In fact, my floor boards are screwed down (not nailed) with that in mind - and I have 8 or 10 spares in the loft.

BTW: I did not paint my interior. It is light enough now and can always be painted later if it gets too much "patina". In the meantime, I am savoring all that real wood showing....

I am excited for you!

SJS

All the best,

SJS

Steve & Dave

I think I'll not paint it but go natural with a coat of poly or similar. As for machining the wood I've got that covered. A Powermatic 160 16" planer, Powermatic and an Oliver shapers with a powerfeed, and a Powermatic 66 tablesaw, a Northfield 12" jointer, to name some of the machines I've acquired and restored over the years. Speaking of that I need to post some pics of an Oliver lathe I just finished this past weekend.

Last edited:
Eric:
I'm a few years from building my building, but I have a couple questions. Why did you choose 2 different trusses? Why not all the same with storage above the whole building? What are you planning for heat? How will you insulate it? Ceiling also? Did you put any floor drains in?

Does your guy do any building in Tennessee? My property is just north of Chattanooga.

Many thanks!!

Last edited:
Eric:
I'm a few years from building my building, but I have a couple questions. Why did you choose 2 different trusses? Why not all the same with storage above the whole building? What are you planning for heat? How will you insulate it? Ceiling also? Did you put any floor drains in?

Does your guy do any building in Tennessee? My property is just north of Chattanooga.

Many thanks!!

Attic truss cost quite a bit more and you need twice as many. Cost limited me to doing a room over the shop and not the whole building. Honestly I don't think I'll need any more than that. I have a couple drains for the toilet and a shower should I want to add one later. They are under the slab. No plans right now for heat other than maybe a space heater. It is Alabama so summer heat is more of concern than winter cold. I'm insulating the entire roof with a radiant barrier to prevent condensation inside the building and will use fiberglass batting in the shop. I highly recommend Deep South Garages. They do first class work and the owner is a great guy to deal with. Call and see if they can do your shop.

http://www.deepsouthgarages.com/

https://www.facebook.com/deepsouthgarages

Last edited:
I'll be running my business out of my shop, so I'm planning on a small office which will have a in wall AC. I would expect fans to do my cooling. Have you/would you consider a wood stove?

Many thanks! I'll call them and see what they say!

I have thought about a wood stove but will need to check with my insurance agent to see if I can have one with my policy.

Builder finished up this past week and I picked up the load of pine I'll use to finish the interior. A different contractor is just about done framing the bathroom, a wall that divides the shop and garage, attic flooring, and a stairway to the attic room. Garage doors get installed tomorrow and hopefully electrical work will soon follow.

Very nice Eric!! I started on my shop over a year ago, and of course it is still under construction, but it is dry inside, except when we have a hard blowing rain form the East!!

Back