Ya-Ha-Tinda Ranch - NDR photos

Paul Meisenheimer

Supporter
Last week I was chatting with a fellow at work who shares an interest in photography. He told me he had moved to Canada from China 20 years ago and more recently had relocated to Calgary from Vancouver. We talked about places to get interesting photos and he told me that he had only visited the standard tourist destinations in the mountains and wasn't sure where to go. I immediately offered up a Sunday road trip to take some pictures in one of my favorite places. We were experiencing a chinook and much of the snow had melted. It was a great time to head to the Eastern slopes of the Rockies and enjoy the warmer weather.

I live east of Calgary, on the edge of the prairies, and had to call Ken to tell him I was running late when I spotted this sunrise. I pulled over, snapped a few photos and then got back on the road to pick up Ken.

Once we got clear of the city we hit the forestry roads and headed north. After a short delay while I pulled another truck out of the ditch (icy roads in some of the higher spots) we pulled over a few times to take pictures.

Ya-Ha-Tinda Ranch was our destination. A national historic site, it is owned by the federal government but continues to operate as a working ranch. Close to 10,000 acres, it sits nestled in the most easterly edge of the Rockies and is prairie grass and rolling hills surrounded by mountain peaks. All of the nearby National Parks warden's horses are wintered here and they also keep a small herd of bison that is used to ensure a healthy brood stock of pure strain animals for any restocking that might be needed. The public is welcome to visit and most of the ranch is available for hiking, fishing and even some hunting in places.

My goal was to do a short hike up the frozen Bighorn Creek Canyon to Bighorn Falls. I figured Ken would find lots to photograph there. Here are a few of my own captures from that day.

We had a great day and Ken proved to be good company. He took many great photos and thanked me many times over for sharing a piece of Canada that very few have seen. We are now plotting our next back-country trip.

Great photos! Even with all the beautiful scenery, I was most drawn to the gravel road photo - love the feeling of pulling off the highway on to gravel - it means adventure to me.

Very cool photos, definitely scenery we don't see down here on the coastal plain!

Thanks for sharing with both us and your coworker. Best way to get others to appreciate what we love is to have them experience it first hand.

Good morning, Paul~

Great stuff! I am sure your friend appreciated the tag-along.

Of course, the Practical Duck Hunter in me wanted to see photos of you hauling the other truck out of the ditch.

All the best,

SJS

Good morning, Paul~

Great stuff! I am sure your friend appreciated the tag-along.

Of course, the Practical Duck Hunter in me wanted to see photos of you hauling the other truck out of the ditch.

All the best,

SJS

Steve,
Picture a bright red, almost new Tundra, sitting in 2' deep snow while the previously over-confident driver shovels and his two friend watch. I might have been the only other vehicle to drive that road on that day. His relief was evident in the many thank you comments received.
Paul

Very cool photos, definitely scenery we don't see down here on the coastal plain!

Thanks for sharing with both us and your coworker. Best way to get others to appreciate what we love is to have them experience it first hand.

Thanks Carl. Ken is hooked now. He has been talking about it all week.

Great photos! Even with all the beautiful scenery, I was most drawn to the gravel road photo - love the feeling of pulling off the highway on to gravel - it means adventure to me.

Thanks Tod. It is my favourite too. I think it is the way it conveys a sense of anticipation.

Absolutely beautiful! Don,t get to see scenery like that on the eastern shore of MD. Looks like a good way also to get rid of some cabin fever this time of year.

Absolutely beautiful! Don,t get to see scenery like that on the eastern shore of MD. Looks like a good way also to get rid of some cabin fever this time of year.

It is always nice to get out... well almost always, except when it is -30°. LOL You do have to pick your days at this time of year.

Seems like very little snow for this time of year....is the snow pack poor there this year?...

We have had lots of snow in the mountains but it melted a lot on the eastern slopes with the chinook last week. It is cold and snowing again. The ski hills have a 60" base which is low to average for this time of year.

Thanks for taking us along! Did Ken emigrate to Vancouver prior Hong Kong's reversion to mainland China's rule?

I have a friend whose grand parents were the patriarchs of a small factory town in mainland China. When the Maoists arrived they killed Erics grandparents, forcing his family to flee to Hong Kong. When Britain announced that they would be turning Hong Kong back over to the mainland Chinese government, several weeks following that announcement his parents received a letter stating that, for the sum of about 50,000 dollars paid to the Chinese government a plaque would be erected in his family's former home town commemorating his grandparents achievements. When I asked Eric what his father's response to the letter was, he replied that his father viewed the letter as an effort to verify who he was and who he was related to. He was now certain that the Chinese government knew where he was and would likely find them and kill them when Hong Kong reverted back to Chinese rule. They fled along with many other Hong Kong residents to Vancouver, BC. prior the transfer.

Thanks for taking us along! Did Ken emigrate to Vancouver prior Hong Kong's reversion to mainland China's rule?

Ken's family is originally from China and they did indeed come to Vancouver just prior to the turnover of Hong Kong. I don't know the details about why. Apparently his wife's family followed the same path and they met while attending University in Canada.

Back