Yard Sale decoys

Charles Copeland

Found a yard sale last week that had some miscellaneous duck hunting stuff and the lady said next week I'm bringing some Red Head decoys, so for 4 dollars each with texas rigs I got to bring these home. Not to bad a deal I reckon.
View attachment herters.jpg
When I first picked these up I sent a the pic to my father and we both agreed they were Herters. In my interweb research so far tonight I have no been able to place them. They are styrofoam with a hard shell thats painted. I'm certain the vast wealth of knowledge on this board can point me to their correct origin. Thanks in advance

Last edited:
Did you buy the bufflehead also? The pair of cans look in good shape. You got a bargain on them. Even beat up herters decoys of that type will bring twice what you paid. I'd keep those to display I'd pay 20 each for those. You don't see that many cans in that condition and I have a soft spot for them.

Styrofoam with a hard plastic shell, which appears to be shrink wrapped to the body? Sounds like a Herter's Ultimate Series.

The buffleheads in the picture are actually re-purposed green head gear Gadwall decoys that were beat up and cheap. Thanks for the answers on the Herters y'all

It makes a good tender boat for this part of the gulf and only drafts 7 inches with a full load. I can get after the reds and trout year round so I based my boat selection off of that. I've got to put some tread on the sponsons to reduce the friction, almost lost some teeth last week on them.

Back