April what's on you workbench? No fooling

Eric, that's my favorite bird of yours so far. I really like it and I'd love to see more of it. Will you have it with you this weekend?

Last edited:
Great work everyone!

Doug, I wont have it with me this weekend. I gave it to my father in law, I don't dare try to sneak it out for the weekend!

Eric, love the head and chest on that bird. Great form.

Abe, Like seeing your work. Good pose and balance with that head.

Ramsey, always like the relief style on a deke. You've got a lot of side pocket to decorate. Looking forward to some drama.

I can tell you whats not on my bench any more . Is 118 goose skins, they're all stuffed and hanging on the rafters, ready for the field next season. For the next couple of weeks its the Windy and tackle that'll keep me busy. Then its a new 6 man floating blind

a gwt drake I'm working on from some left over "two'ba" wood. Still in the early stages.
P1020578.jpg

The first head I have carved with a power carver that looked good and I did lose any skin. Simple gunning wigeon that is going in a small rig of wigeon I am doing this year.

P1020579.jpg

was able to get the teal hollowed and epoxied. Perfect timing since I"ll be gone for work all weekend while he dries.
P1020580.jpg

Last edited:
Wooweee Pat...was that "yellowlegs" or "chickenlegs" you meant.

Just yanking yer chain. Great looking birds. Can't wait to see 'em painted up.

Eric, that can is one stately son of a gun. Very nice.

You guys just might inspire me to post up some pics and start painting.

Another day out in the shop... Today brings a hollow carved white pine preening pintail. This bird is a prototype for my gunners this year. Also, a pair of white cedar GWT, a few golf clubbers and a hollow carved white pine gadwall. I did some feather stamping on the back of the gaddy. Got the stamp years ago from Ron Snow, Walt's son. The feather stamp is a classic Michigan tool used by the likes of Ben Schmidt and Jim Kelson. I have a goose stamp. Looking for a duck stamp if anyone knows of one for sale. Took less than 2 minutes to lay the feathers in the back of the gaddy. The gaddy head pattern was from a gadwall drake I harvested on a hunt years ago on Matanzas Lake.

Keep your knife sharp, let the chips fly and God bless! Pat

View attachment PICT0175.JPG
View attachment PICT0176.JPG
View attachment PICT0177.JPG

Thanks Jode! He sure is a plump little rascal...

Steve - Yellowlegs on the shorebird, chickenlegs on the carver...

Back