April what's on you workbench? No fooling

Tom,

I love the wood duck. I've started a rig of what I'm calling "pocket" wood ducks for my own use this fall. I wanted an alert calling drake to be part of those. Your decoy helped me figure a couple of things out with that pattern. Now down to the bandsaw.

WHOOOOOOOOLLLLLE lotta folks on here doing some FANTATSTIC work!!!!!!!!!

makes me jealous, but i'm making patterns and cutting out what's going to amount to the "Buck Brush Rig" of 17 decoys. some hollow cedar and oils (yes, i said oils) and some cork and oils - mallards, wood ducks, gadwall, and black ducks. hoping everyone will be just a bit different so far as poses, which is pretty tough for a new fella.

charles and abe, talking beer is talking my second language........i knew when i saw the fuggles hops it was gonna be a brit inspired brew......irish red huh???? this summer i'm planning on brewing a crazy hopzilla type beer myself. just love a brew that smells of pines and grapefruit.

anyhow, awesome thread everyone..............

-justin

Last edited:
Hollow cedar bodies,pine heads, schoepfer eyes,acrylics.

Rocking head
CIMG4061.jpg
[/img]

Wheeler inspired black duck
CIMG4060.jpg
[/img]

canvasback pair
CIMG4054.jpg
[/img]

Last edited:
the months are flying by
here is what I have this month, I finished up a redhead that I started last month
a pair of brant, and a scotor is almost ready to add to the rig

Last edited:
one more
started on a pair of mallards, superlights, for the kayak
one is primed
everything I try to do is with cedar and painted with oils
the mallards are very thin skinned and only weight a half pound each

Last edited:
wigeon drake roughed out that I worked on during our carving night last night. Would have got more done if a tupelo knife would not have inserted itself about 1cm into my hand. CSI folks will be able to trace this bird back to me with the DNA I left on it.

P1020608.jpg

this is to be my swap decoy, a little more sanding and on to sealing. i am doing another for myself but its not as far along.

Picture041.jpg

Lousy picture, but the lighting in the basement sucks. Hollow cedar mallard pair, will be painted in oils. Hopefully be done in time for next months workbench thread. Constructive critiques are always welcome.

DSC04371.jpg

Last edited:
Too cool today to put the last layer of glass on the sneakbox build, so I just did some putzing. I dug through my scrap steel buckets and cut up a couple bent C-clamps and made a set of boat planking clamps. These are a homemade version of some very nice vintage clamps I used at the Tuckerton Seaport boat shop. I'd love to have a few sets of the originals, but until then these will have to do.

Just need to buy some chain to go between them.

Dave

Been busy. I will take some in better light and closer in the next few days as I work on them.

Since its actually the bench I thought it was appropriate for the thread.

2010-04-20-Work-Bench-01.jpg

Back