February 2014 Workbench Thread

My typical slow pace but I'm just about ready for hollowing. Still figuring out my tools and gathering things here and there. Thank you to Jode for some helpful tips and his generosity in loaning me a few tools to keep me going.

Good to see some folks staying warm in their shops. Beats being outdoors in these temps.

Here's an Eider...hollow cedar and oils.

14-ER01-1a_zps68bfb916.jpg

14-ER01-2_zps4697c7c3.jpg

14-ER01-3_zps65826004.jpg

I wasn't happy with the head or the eye placement, but it'll do for a rig bird. Hollow cedar, to be painted with acrylic.

Good to see some folks staying warm in their shops. Beats being outdoors in these temps.

Here's an Eider...hollow cedar and oils.

14-ER01-1a_zps68bfb916.jpg

14-ER01-2_zps4697c7c3.jpg

14-ER01-3_zps65826004.jpg

Wow!!!!!! my favorite bird and now one of my favorite decoys i've ever seen!!!

awsome stuff man, justin

Last edited:
Just some "complicated " gunners from an old decoy carver who knows the rules so he can break them with impunity.

Love it!

Thank you Larry. This weather gives me plenty of time to be in the shop. ....ooops , this was supposed to be a p.m.

Last edited:
Wow Bob! Very nice. No way do I have the patience to burn in all the feather detail. Lets see you do a 2 foot long pheasant tail feather. :)

Tim

All~

Lots of nice work already this month - makes me anxious to get to some carving. My Scooter restoration is taking most of my time but I had also committed to making a bunch of bird cut-outs for a local educational display of Grassland birds - sorry there are no species with flat bills here.

The silhouettes are on 1/4" masonite - mounted loosely on dowels so kids can handle them. I really enjoy this style of painting - alot like painting gunners - fast and loose and very little fussing. I'm using acrylics (and flat latex decoy paint from Home Depot). I will probably spray them with matte lacquer once they are all done.

This Short-Eared Owl is Number One - 16 more to go.....

IBACutouts-SEO1sm_zpsecb6b749.jpg

Here is the rest of the "flock".

IBACut-outs-flock-sm_zps0406207b.jpg

Back to the bench.....

SJS

Back