February 2014 Workbench Thread

Brandon, I am looking forward to working with oils. I don't have any experience with them so it should be interesting. Thanks for commenting, Jeff

Finally have something to contribute! This makes decoy #96 for me since I started carving in 2004 and only the 2nd one since 2011, I've been slacking.

004_zpse89a1dfd.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Those ducks don't stand a chance next year, Kyle. That is a good looking job you have done there. I'll look forward to more pictures as you continue.
Al

Wow Steve.......very cool Silos.
Lately I've been doing a bunch of stuff with my metal lathe. I have a 10" (24" on centers) Logan Engine Lathe built around 1944. It's easy to thread with this lathe and it has the quick change gears. I just had to replace the countershaft and bushings and upgrading some tooling. Swapped out the lantern style tool post holder for a new QC (Quick Change) Tool Post and a half dozen tool holders. (If you have a metal lathe...seriously, look into getting the QC Tool Post & holders...phenomenal.) I also picked up a bunch of new tool bits, boring bars and carbide inserts (it helps that my oldest son is a machinist). I also worked up a jig to hold the scull oar holes for machining the ID.

You can see the new quick change tool post (red label). All your tooling is automatically indexed when you drop them
into the tool post. No lost time adjusting. Very cool.

Shows a close up of the tool post and boring bar.

Threaded fixture to hold the scull oar hole while I machine the ID of the fitting.

One of the fella working with me also works full time as a woodworker and needed an adapter to run their 12" CNC saw blades
on their table saw with a smaller arbor. I turned several adapters for them for several blades.

my father has that same lathe in his basement, I used to make jet heads and other lures on it when I was in high school, he uses it all the time. not very powerful but just enough to get things done.
First time I have seen one similar to it.

Let's bring this back to page 1. Well, with the help and guidance of Jode Hillman I finally have a completed bird to share on this thread. This has been something I have wanted to do for a few years now. Thank you to everyone on this site for enlightening me on the important parts and history of this wonderful sport. Because of this site I have met a a lot of great guys and I hope to meet more of you. I just hope I can give back to others what a lot of you have taught me just reading through this site.

Anyway, enough rambling here is my first decoy. Thanks again to Jode.

Tom, nice Can. Jode is a great teacher and a heck of an artist. He helped me a lot during the one class I was lucky enough to attend.

Here's what's been filling up my paint desk. The tall one is my newest twist on the BTW decoys. I carved in the wind and that has made painting so much easier.

[inline BWT21814.jpg]

Just 2 more to go. I guess I should figure out how to paint a hen....

View attachment BWT21814.JPG

I'll second that Pat, on both accounts. David, I think those are the best birds I've seen from you, especially the top one.

Last edited:
Tom,
Small world. Great lathe to work with and it's done everything I've needed it to do....so far. What does your Dad use if for at the moment?
Logan Lathe is still around as "Logan Actuator" and you can still get parts for that lathe..as I did. Any parts that can wear out are available as well as many of the larger sets of stuff. You can do a google search for Logan Lathe or Logan Actuator and find the website or
www.lathe.com If you give them the serial number, they will know what you have. I've been dealing directly with Steve Logan and he's been extremely helpful. I've also gotten fast delivery on top of that. Great company and a joy to work with.
Lou

==========================================

my father has that same lathe in his basement, I used to make jet heads and other lures on it when I was in high school, he uses it all the time. not very powerful but just enough to get things done.
First time I have seen one similar to it.

Thanks for the kind words, guys. This is the closest I've come to actually having a rig. 2 BWT hens are next. I can't wait to hunt these BWT in the U.P. and on a farm pond with some good friends. I'm just hoping for a warm fall so I stand a chance in Michigan:) If not, then I might be in a trading state of mind.....lol.

simple enough-Good beginning-Now, weight them, add the leather strap, or eye and staple and use them next year.
Have you put them in water to check for flotation, ride?

Back