Great South Bay Scooter Rehab - SEA TRIALS AT LAST !

Steve

"Better than new" is often said but doesn't always hold true. In the case of this boat there is no doubt it is better than new. The care and attention to detail, hallmarks of your restorations, were executed again to perfection. Thank you for taking us on your boat restoration journey, for I think it's safe to say we all were entertained, educated, and inspired.

Eric

Steve,
Beautiful work as usual. That old girl looks amazing. And great "how it was done" documentary on the build, so much knowledge shared. Thank you.

Eric et al~

I admire the original design and workmanship - but do believe some of my departures have made this a better gunning vessel.

Extending the cockpit forward, adding the spray shield, rowing stanchions, shelves and lap canvas are all features that will serve Paul and his partners well, I believe.

We took a bunch more photos yesterday. So, this is the first time I have seen her "laden". She trims well under all uses. As I anticipated, her waterline is just below her rubrails - and she is not down at the bow. Of course, she will float just a bit higher in the salty waters of Great South Bay.

View attachment B - ACH 01 profile.JPG

Like many narrow gunning boats, the oars cross amidships. As I learned to row on a Scooter when a young lad, my natural tendency on any boat is to row with alternate hands. I heard only in recent years that this is known as the "Dutch roll" - at least to certain baymen of a Low Countries heritage.....

View attachment B - ACH 02.JPG

I row kneeling when tending the rig - but sit on a low rowing bench when in for a long haul. Notice how the fantail stern is clear of the water - which gives her the clean "run" so important in rowing craft.

View attachment B - ACH 04.JPG

Here lies the patient gunner - waiting for just the right moment.....

View attachment B - ACH 07.JPG

Maybe a bit of motion will attract some passing Broadie-Beaks....

View attachment B - ACH 09 Flagging.JPG

Up on the second pass - with just the right lead!

View attachment B - ACH 08.JPG

Time to pick up the rig.

View attachment B - ACH 10.JPG

Herter's Model 72 Broadbill (aka Bluebill), of course.

View attachment B - ACH 11 - wrapping decoy.JPG

Hurricane Covid will preclude my gunning from her this year - but I would certainly enjoy a spell in her next season.

View attachment B - ACH 15.JPG

All the best,

SJS

Wow and WOW again......looks SO good. I'll be getting a new trailer for her. Since you now have joint custody of the Butterball, feel free to take her any time you wish.

Good morning, Young Man~

I'll be sending an e-mail to a long list later today - something you can easily forward to your friends.

Got a Load-Rite dealer near you? I have been very happy with the brand.

See you soon,

SJS

That's a fine looking boat Steve, and you did such an excellent job on the restoration! I think there are several places here in the West that a boat like that would work really well, in fact your post has my gears turning on building a very similar ultralight boat in concept and shape but out of foam core and epoxy........

Steve Sanford said:
Good morning, Young Man~
I'll be sending an e-mail to a long list later today - something you can easily forward to your friends.
Got a Load-Rite dealer near you? I have been very happy with the brand.
See you soon,
SJS

There's a guy on Mtk Hwy in Lindy that has been at it for years, I think he's Load Right, I'm going to look this weekend.

Mc~

I can't help but wonder if it's Schneider's....I bought all my trailer there when on the Island. I still have a big E-Z Roller I bought from him for my old gaff sloop.

BTW: Did you see my posts with Dave Diefenderfer? I am fairly certain your vessel was built by Dodge & Krowl in Islip. Schuyler Watts hunted from one back in the day.

SJS

I don't post much, as it's been 30 years since I built a duckboat (and still have it). But, I wanted to comment on Steve's project: thoroughly entertaining and very informative. A well-documented re-build such as this is a joy to follow. Well done, sir, and thank you for taking the time (and I know it requires a lot of time and interruptions to the work) to share your efforts with the rest of us on the forum.
I love duckboats and the environment in which they're used.

That rig looks beautiful great work as always Capt! Plenty of broadbill await.. even if it's next season!

Last edited by a moderator:
Back