July workbench

I am always amazed at the talent and diverse styles on Duckboats. Keep posting guys love seeing all the pictures.

This is the final common merganser in my Erie rig. Carved 6 a year ago and then an additional 12 this year. Ill be adding red breasted mergansers and a few other species to the rig but the plan was for 18 commons to start it. Honestly I want to carve more and paint them they are such a fun species.

Here is the final decoy. It will need details on the bill after it dries. Painting a rig has drastically improved my carving and painting skills. I recommend it to any new carver that is struggling to improve. The only problem is I want to go back and repaint the first 5 of the 7 hens now. Guess that means I improved through the process.

2013-07-24-merganser.jpg

Nice work Roy.

Thanks for the comments guys. Bob, I floated it before paint so I knew where to screw the holder into the bottom at. I don't remember how much weight it needed to self right its written under where the holder is right now but it floated really nicely. I was a little concerned with the outstretched head when I was carving it but was relieved that it rode so nice. now in a heavy wind... Ill have to let you know.

Brandon, dude that looks better on the computer instead of the phone! My assessment on the phone was correct keep pushing bro.

Roy great birds

here are a couple blue rockets I have been working on. One is cork the other a wood urn bird. Both will head to different parts of GA.

B9B60F6E_zps2f9d17fa.jpg
[/URL]

Lovin' the Auks, Sean. Great composition for both birds.

Cool temps can hang around here as long as they want. Conducive to getting things done.

Here are a few more birds, a black and a widgeon, that are base-coated, textured, & ready for paint.
View attachment BDcorks 002.jpg

View attachment BDCorks2.jpg

August will probably see a lot of painting. Things are stacking up. Time to start getting some calls ready as well.

Last edited:
Thanks Bob. Birds look great as usually. Mike I got to get over for a visit.
Some more birds I just finished painting and weighting.

july%20birds.jpg

Sean...how about a close up of the widgeon in the back?

Michael...your widgeon look great.

Last edited:

Group shot, some have been around for a while

DSC06373.jpg

Blackduck from paint bench, gonna redo the feathering

DSC06372.jpg

Swimming buffy hen

DSC06371.jpg

High head buffy hen

DSC06370.jpg

Green wing gunner

DSC06369.jpg