June - What's on your Workbench?

Hey Dave, I think that's my favorite Redhead you have done so far!

Steve thanks.....your welcome to help me beat up the woods any spring.....the mountains will have to wait though as my Part of jersey is darn flat except for the occasional sand dune! LOL.....

Bob, do you treat the cork with anything to further strengthen it along the edges of the raised and defined primaries? I like the dropped primaries...really benefits the relaxed look on those decoys.

Pat, you can't claim be a commercial decoy maker until you display your stack of 50,000 bandsaw blades-used, broken and still in box! Seriously, have you ever calculated how many bodies you can get out of a given blade? Just curious to hear a figure from a high volume carver.

Last edited:
Rick - I honestly never gave that any thought nor, do I count the decoys I make. If I counted it would become like work. I have no idea but, using good quality wood and good quality bandsaw blades, I get a lot of mileage out of my blades...
I appreciate the kind words brother and, thank God for the gift of carving decoys... It is a pleasure and a joy and, I get to meet some great people doing it! Pat

Bob, do you treat the cork with anything to further strengthen it along the edges of the raised and defined primaries?

Rick, I think a lot of what you're seeing is the illusion created by the paint. The primaries are defined, but don't raise much at all above the level of the contours of the tail coverts. This picture of the current hen after base & texture shows that:
View attachment z3.jpg

Even in a decoy where they are more pronounced looking, you'll not that I always leave a thick lip to the body (Take a look back at that picture of the mallard drake taken from a rear angle). As such, no reinforcement is needed, because really nothing is fragile. Make sense?
Bob

To get behind Bob on this, on the Furia decoys I own, primaries are plenty sturdy and, I am a stickler for sturdiness and durability in decoys. The wonder of it is, the illusion of reality yet, the durability of a sound decoy... Pat

Thanks, Steve!

Thanks Jode, I really dig those turkeys.

Bob, that technique you are using to "raise" the feather groups in a strong manner is really looking good.

Good morning, Pat~

Great bird! I like everything about him - but the posture and crown are perfect for a gunning bird and the sides are excellent.

All the best,

SJS

Capt Larry, That hen has a worried look about her!.....like she's saying, "Hey guys, don't shoot the decoys!" great work!!

Last edited:
Another one ready for hunting season. The keel is made from BoisDarc that me and my Father cut up about 20 years ago.

Here is a Bluebill from this month and a Ruddy from late May.
10458161_1460435160916024_2081613844852565003_n.jpg
[/URL][/img]
11038791_1451410301818510_1282197224715851039_n.jpg
[/URL][/img]

Last edited:
Back