June - What's on your Workbench?

Good morning, Dennis~

Another spectacular job! (and, I continue to regret the batch of Butternut I gave away 30 years ago.....)

I am putting together 2 sets of note cards for my upcoming Open Studio Tour. http://www.studiotour.org/steve-sanford/ One has 4 species of ducks, the other 4 species of songbirds.

I painted (watercolors) these 2 Butterball this morning:

Buffleheads%205x7_zpsbcnsni3i.jpg

I painted this Blue Jay when I was a young man (circa 1977) - also watercolors:

A%20Blue%20Jay%20-%205x7%20card_zpsafzwjakq.jpg

All the best,

SJS

Sean those woodies are killer!

Steve, as much as I like your more photo-realistic bluejay from the past, the buffies you just painted are my preference of the two. Very nice.

Sean those woodies are just sick.

Dennis I love the fish, I'm sure your dad will also.

Steve, awesome work as usual.

Dennis: Very nice fish carvings. Black walnut is such a beautiful wood. It's currently being utilized now as a tonewood for the backs and sides of guitars. I've seen some instruments where you can just get lost in the figure and grain of the wood, similar to your carvings. Thanks for sharing.
Ken Zaborski

Dave~

It's a good thing you like my looser style - 62-year-old eyes can no longer do what 24-year-old eyes could!

Here is a drawing I just did for another card series - of Long Island decoys. I used charcoal, ink and watercolor.

I saw this Brant during a visit with Dick DeMott last weekend. Dick is the great-grandson of the carver. The actual card includes a dark red border - which really complements the image.

Daniel%20DeMott%20Brant%205x7%20caption%20SMALL_zpsqejgtgbl.jpg

All the best,

SJS

Oh man I love that Brant card....how do I get me some.....

Lets do a poster on Brant decoy styles.....you know you doing all the work and me pimping the posters.......the t-shirt artwork started as a poster that I bought at Tuckerton....there should be enough Brant lovers to jump all over a poster that had twenty or so different Brant decoys on it....I've got some great examples East and West Coast.....Hagerbaumer, Chesser, Bowden, Pinches......

And if not then..."how do I get me some of the note card you just posted...

Steve

Great stuff this month again. Steve the watercolors are very nice, looser is better in my opinion.
Dennis those walnut fish are beautiful. I can't imagine the patience it took to get them done so nicely.

Tim

Good morning, Steve~

That DeMott Brant will be part of a set - along with an Al McCormick Black Duck, a Shang Wheeler Whistler and a Wildfowler Broadbill - of 5 x 7 notecards I am putting together. Not sure when these will go into "production" but I may have some printed for my mid-July studio show.

The poster project sounds interesting. I would need Sutton-quality photos of any others we wanted to include. It's something we could work on over a few months - in time for Christmas?

All the best,

SJS

Colin & Steve Sutton (and anyone else with some nice old Brant stool and a good camera)~

What I would need are dead-on profile views with light from above. A separate shot that shows the bottom/keel, ballast etc is often useful/necessary.

I also need: the Carver, carver's hometown and date (approx is OK)

Just send me a PM and we can start the ball rolling.

And, if you have some nice Black Duck duck, might as well take a few pics of them, too - to keep Kris happy!

I cannot begin this project until after my July studio show - but I already have the photos I need to draw the Ackerly Brant I just repaired. And, next time I'm on LI, I will take photos of some more birds.

Finally, I will probably start a separate post on this topic.

All the best,

SJS

Here is one of my completed Solitary Sandpipers. Basswood finished in oils with a brass "leg".

Solitary%203_zpsrdy9jdzi.jpg

Solitary%202_zpsnprptebe.jpg

Solitary%205_zpskmtzoz0p.jpg

Back to the bench....lots more "in process".....

SJS

Steve ... Love the Solitary....like that's a surprise....

I think the Brant poster would be a great item....not sure if it should be contemporary or "older"......I like the idea of both......but the question becomes "how many" on the poster and how do you separate the East from the West Coast......I've got some ideas on that and we should definately talk about it.....

A separate thread makes sense for sure when you have the time to work on it.....once I get the Florida move over I'll get in touch and we can talk about it.....

Steve

Earlier I posted some Brant stool I repaired for a friend on Long Island. This was the best of the lot - a Root-head Brant by Lem Ackerly.

Ackerly%20Brant%201%20-%20B_zpsapgwn7fa.jpg

Here is the drawing I did Thursday - for a series of notecards and probably for the Brant Poster Steve Sutton and I will be cooking up later this year. I used my 2015-16 Artistic License to "remove" the whitish bars that were likely later touch-ups to the original paint.

Ackerly%20BRANT%20CARD%20-CROPPED_zpsm3qrfeq6.jpg

All the best,

SJS

What a GREAT bird and your rendition does it perfect justice.....Love it.....if there was a "nit" to pick itwould be that I love that crack in the neck of the bird and I'd like to see it show more strongly in the drawing......

Seen CHAMP yet? When you do we'll expect a drawing.......

Steve

Back