June - What's on your workbench ??????

George~

Nice work on those Blacks! As you know, I am a fan of showing those smokey tertials.

Black%20Ducks_zpsv4yqnwyk.jpg

All the best,

SJS

Steve, I only started adding the tertials as visible markings about ten years ago, after watching a group of blacks lolling in the stool at our old marsh. They visually attracted my attention, so i added them to dekes after that.
Messing with female parque ducks tomorrow. Have painted upper and under tail coverts, so i do have a minor leg up on them.
Thanks for the posting.

Last edited:
Good morning, George~

I may have told this story before, but I first noticed those tertials when I was a young lad. It was a day when big sou'easter blew up and kept us out of our usual cove. So, my Dad just took a long drive - with no particular plans to hunt that day. As we drove over the Fire Island Inlet, I looked down from the bridge and saw a bunch of about 40 big ducks rafted tight together on the water....very dark, heads hunkered down, and these obvious pale markings on the backs aft. I had to ask my Dad - What are those?

As with my later years flying over birds on the water, I realized how different a view other ducks get - and how they ID each other from that perspective.

All the best,

SJS

Back