May - Whats on your workbench?

Pat,
Love it!

Got distracted this week. It was a bad year for runs but we still managed to make some and last year was so good we still have quite a bit left. Out of town for a funeral this weekend but next week ill be back at the decoys. Excited about whats on my paint bench right now.
ehazy5e6.jpg

Last edited:
Great stuff this month, as always. I've done some decoy work lately, along with this Bellamy style Eagle. Progress is slow going with all the other obligations this time of year brings.
239D2899-B69F-4C0C-ACB2-71929F3DC511-3915-00000BD8D1013D45_zps0c6b570c.jpg

Wing span is just at 36 inched. The head and body are two separate pieces of 2 inch thick Basswood. I plan on painting it in oils and gold leaf like the originals. I'm not sure what saying I'm going to put on the banner, but I'm thinking "Come and Take it". The banner will be attached to an Oak staff and lay across the wing on the left with the banner across the top. Sorry for the poor iPad picture.

Last edited:
Pat,
Love it!

Got distracted this week. It was a bad year for runs but we still managed to make some and last year was so good we still have quite a bit left. Out of town for a funeral this weekend but next week ill be back at the decoys. Excited about whats on my paint bench right now.
ehazy5e6.jpg

That's a welcome distraction Brandon! I made a little syrup a few years ago , but the sap run In NJ can be unpredictable at best. I have not messed with it for a few years.

Here is something that has been a few month in the making. My daughter with her first Canvasback decoy she carved. She is very creative and listens to advice well. I am proud of her.

Jode - Great looking can your daughter did! You must be proud. Thank you for passing it on and creating a legacy. Pat

Sure glad you got distracted with shorebirds, Colin. I really like the style you have incorporated.
Al

Jode-

That Canvasback is fantastic! As much as it means now, I am sure that decoy will mean even more in years to come.

Chad

Keep her busy Jode!! Looks like you have a willing apprentice!

Thanks Guys........It is easy on my part as she is always badgering me to start another decoy. She want to do some bufflehead next. I am glad for the company in the shop.

Good news is she got her hunting liscence this spring and although she hasn't connected on a Turkey hopefully the fall will find her riding shotgun in the Duckboat!

Jode,
That is the best decoy you have ever posted. Having been through your painting class I can see your teaching in the way its painted. Very cool! Please tell her how impressed we all are Ill share the picture with my kids.

Thanks Brandon. That's quite a compliment. I will be sure to pass it along to Ali...she will like the fact your showing your kids( I showed her the pictures of your daughter at Ohio ...)

Back