Rescuing A Rail Skiff *Updated with text and pics*

When you get working on a boat that has given you the bug it usually goes fast! Decoys can wait. Never used industrial sand, what is that? Sassafrass is an under appreciated boat wood. Well done. How about a stool for the gunner?

How awesome is that skiff? I can't wait to see her in person let alone an opportunity to gun her!! Let me know if you are bring it to Tuckerton if you are tight on space I can talk to Marty about displaying it over by him. The boat exudes what Tuckerton is all about!! Great work Jode!!!

back when you had to phone in for your HIP number I always wondered who was shooting rail and gallinule

Nice job, she looks nicer than when she was new. Good luck with her

Great work and writeup. Only one mistake I saw...the tide was a touch low to pole for railbirds. ;-)

Jode, I have never worked with Sassafras, is the wood aromatic like the foliage and bark?

Last edited:
Good morning, Jode~

What a great surprise to find your fine photos and story. (I'm glad you're not like a certain Eastern NY fellow on this site who drags his restorations out painfully - step-by-step- over several months.....) Knowing your carving work, none of us should have been surprised at your expert boat skills. I envy you your access to lumbers like White Cedar and Sassafras.

And, I am glad that no Opossums were harmed during the restoration process!

All the best,

SJS

Nice work Jode. It always interests me to see how similar boats are used for different purposes in varying regions. We use a boat that is lightweight and drafts very little water and is poled through heavy vegetation much like you do but our target is frogs. I always work the pole and leave the spotting and grabbing to the younger generation who have better eyesight for spotting and faster reflexes for grabbing. I get a great deal of satisfaction navigating the boat into position after being told we would never be able to get there because of the thick vegetation. I'm sure the original owner will be pleased with the work you have done to get her back on the meadows.

Good stuff Jode.
Pretty cool boat. And I love the scenery too.

Thanks Carl , not many places I'd rather be than the salt marsh . You can make a great day in any of the 12 months if you know what to do. It's a magic place .

Beautiful restoration . Now the big question is will you be drawing up construction plans for us unfortunate enough to be bitten by your bug!

That would be great, but I'm not that smart!

Fantastic restoration and great description of the process. My only question is why did you chose to paint it? Why not just leave it as as fiberglass coating so your incredible decking job could be seen by all?

When you get working on a boat that has given you the bug it usually goes fast! Decoys can wait. Never used industrial sand, what is that? Sassafrass is an under appreciated boat wood. Well done. How about a stool for the gunner?

Thanks Bob, Frank has access to all different type of sand through his work. Industrial sand is coarse larger grained pieces of sand pebble, about like 36 grit sandpaper.

Last edited:
back when you had to phone in for your HIP number I always wondered who was shooting rail and gallinule

Nice job, she looks nicer than when she was new. Good luck with her

Thanks Charlie, yep I'm one of them crazies!

Back