September "What's on your workbench?"

Nice work already this month. Here's what i've been up to. Finally started to get some paint on the lawn dart i carved last month and another head i just started the preener will go on the same body pattern.
rbprogresstwo_edited-1.jpg

RBinprogress_edited-1.jpg

Got my hens base colored from this last cork batch and off and painting the drakes this morning.

Thick, fast, and super simple paint for Mr. Sprig. The bill should have been painted first, momentary lapse of reason - doh! I am not 100% sure on the "twist" on the neck on this one.

Tim

Started a goose today. There is a LOT of wood that needs to be removed. The original block must have weighed around 40#. I am shooting for around 9# when done, keeled and weighted. Just carving the head was a big job. The mallard is just there for scale.

goose0001.jpg

I painted up some old Herter's brant to over the weekend too. Just a fast and easy paint job. I made a lot of progress without work getting in the way.

goose0002.jpg

A can and a mallard:

IMG_20100907_192254.jpg

First three wired of seven GE:

IMG_20100907_192304.jpg

Sorry about the photo quality...bad light, camera phone and a less than stable photographer.

No decoys - just piles of dust on this bench...

P9070126.jpg

and some calls in progress on this bench (duck, crow, goose and turkey)

P9070125.jpg

Steve, it looks like your workbench serves double duty like mine. Some wood working/some fleshing.

Very nice work everyone! It's really neat to see the innards on those canvas decoys.

Not the best mate, but a mate never the less....

A tail board-less hen from last winter as well in color.

Tim

I don't have any pictures today, but I put the finishing touches (IE fixed my mistakes) on 4 drake mallards I painted on Monday. I normally have done basic black ducks so I'm working on a learning curve with the mallards. one of the four is a repaint of the first mallard I painted back in, geez, 2004. The remaining 3 are dekes I started pre-divorce and have been just sitting in a box for around 5 yearsor so. I can say that the hiatus is over and I'm picking up where I left off. They aren't pretty, but will be funtional. One cedar and two BSC...the repaint is cedar as well. Just have to add the keels, paint the bottoms and stick a fork in them. I also have I think four black ducks that are all repaired and I started re-painting one tonight. Originally done with Ronan and Rustoleum but the repaints will all be done with Jansens. I attempted a hen mallard on Monday but it kicked my butt. It is re-base coated and on standby until I can find a local guy to give me a tutorial.....my goal by the weekend is to keel the drakes and finish the repaints and that will at least give me a start for the season. By the end of last season I couldn't swim more than 10 or 11 of my dekes. I'm looking at 20+ at this point. Unless I want to put out some teal or woodies or geese, I can go "no plastic" this year.....

Three goldeneyes, one scoter, 2-3 black ducks, a few sea duck coat racks, some sea duck sleds, a mess of H anchors, and some buffle sleds or Y boards. Plus, a 11 month old french brittany puppy.

Nate

Nate, planning on some timberdoodling? Brits are sweet. I had one and the doodles were the only thing he'd point.

You bet! I love chasing doodles. Kira has put up three so far this year, two in the spring and one the other day. Also, we were walking into the woods and flushed a couple of grouse out of the thicket. Nearly gave me a heart attack. Pup spun around as they were busting skyward and watched them takeoff, and then got into the woods and right on the scent. Was cool to see her get jacked up.

One more month and we'll be in the woods.

Nate

This can is in NC but I just thought that the Rutger's gang would like to see the finished bird since we've been so busy this summer. He's hollowed Michigan cedar with a tupelo head. Base coated in FME with Grumbacher oils on top. Leather loop and lead pad weight. Now I've got to get crackin' on a mallard before Chuck gets ahead of me, hehehe.

[inline img_1542.jpg]

View attachment IMG_1542.JPG

never knew Bud but he lived from 1996 to 2010 and had an owner who cared deeply for him. I really don't need to know any more to know he was a good dog. Here is his bird in progress. Waiting on the 2010 quarter to set in the bottom.
P1020862.jpg

P1020863.jpg

Now I've got to get crackin' on a mallard before Chuck gets ahead of me, hehehe.

Slacker! hehe

IMG_20100909_215451.jpg

Also dug out a ruddy that I wasn't happy with the first canvas covering...recovered it, now on to the head:

IMG_20100909_224144.jpg

IMG_20100909_224153.jpg

Back