September "What's on your workbench?"

The flash seems to of made them a lil' shiny, All but Scoter head from LS&B

1 of 6 super squaw repaint touched up
decoyrepaints006.jpg

New 1of 3 sleeper can
decoyrepaints005.jpg

1 fof 3 Red brst'd with some mlbob atempt @ toothbrush side pockets and my horse donated some mane hair.
Not sure if that's how it should of turned out?

decoyrepaints004.jpg

1/3 Hoodie touched up.
decoyrepaints002.jpg

Some of Tom's work mold/casting. They will be mounted on burlapped 72's really to nice for burlap but oh well.
Put oak dowel into 2part head as inst. to give bolt through 72 body some thing to grip.
I have eyes and first couple coats on them just haven't up dated photo.

dekesandBB004.jpg

Not the caliber of others on here but I enjoy the painting and gunning over my painted birds.
I'm glad lou has blanks, as I have no intrest in carving at this time.

Gene

great birds by all

finished up one bird today, the urn bird and did a quick project for my duck club

566694374_2009731315_0.jpg

This is my first workbench post. I think it really means "What's off your workbench".

Anyway, I've included a combo shot. Pintails are off the workbench. Just finishing the spar urethane on the keels. I often loose interest in taking pictures of decoys after they are complete. Off the workbench: means rigged and stored for deployment. No more fussing about with them!

In the foreground is an over-sized can. I'm trying to decide if the back is just a little too humpy. The blacked-out areas are not something I'm trying to hide. The picture was just over 100K and I couldn't really crop it too much more.

View attachment SeptWorkbench.JPG

Last edited:
I have been thinking about doing a diorama type display featuring my favorite subject hooded mergansers .
I decided to work up a preliminary 2d pattern that would give me freedom to adjust the characters through out the development phase .
Once I get the mergansers to scale and in position ill work out a top view and head to my band saw.
Mergy2-3.jpg

Everybody's work looks great this month. Thank you for putting the pic of your can up, David. I'm sorry I didn't, but I've just been busy. What free time I've had the past few weeks has been spent scraping on a new hickory bow. Haven't done much in the ways of decoys in a while now, the primitive archery bug has bitten me pretty bad.

Last edited:
Great work everyone! Gene: that RB merg reminds me of one that my friend carved. He used the bristles from a turkey beard for the crest.

Last edited:
Bob, Those mergs looks like they will be neat!

I finished up my Teal rig ( sat half done since last season.) We don't get an early teal bag here, so it won't hit the water til October.
(Our green-wings stay clean thru the spring, as long as we don't freeze solid)

Jode those are some of the prettiest deeks i have seen in a long time. Well done! Very nice bet they look great on the water!

Wow Jode! Are those the same teal I saw on your bench with just their base coats? What a difference! I'm carving just so I can start painting. And so I can try those tips and tricks you showed me last month. Thanks again.

Thanks Mike, the only water they have seen so far is the kiddie pool for thier test float! LOL.

Yep Dave, They are the same ones. I had a good month, almost have my black duck rig buttoned up too...........if ya have any trouble just pick up the phone.
Jode

Got the floor finished. trim was shot up, filled, sanded, and painted. window shelves built and finished, and painted. upstairs, living, foyer, and dining are done. I have the kitchen and great room left to finish before Oct. 16 so i am clear for naps when i get home. I have replaced every wiring device in each finished room too. I started a sleepy canvasback last night while i was waiting for joint compound to dry. I'll post those soon. I have a question about the pose appearing correct.
--14.jpg

working on a rig here in sept. two of the woodies were carved three years ago. Lots of mistakes but they are part of the "get the stuff done" campaign in the garage. The third woody was carved by Schupp and he did not want to finish it. I put my head on it and a new bottom board.

P1020865.jpg

the second set of four carved over the last 10 days. 4 are gifts, one donated to Missouri Waterfowlers Dinner and three for myself or to sell.

all simple birds

P1020867.jpg

I carved this with my Flexcut pocket carver the other morning while waiting on a helicopter ride to another FOB. I’ve boxed up all my tools and they’ve cleared customs ready for the trip home so this is all I have to work with and I love the simplicity. The wood is from a piece of white pine that was dunage from a mine roller packing crate. I think I’ll wait until I get home and burn in the bill details that you see drawn on and I think I’ll make the body out of cork, but that will have to wait until the “October” workbench segment. Mainly because that’s where my burner and cork are!
View attachment Woody Drake head.jpg

Last edited:
work bench full of delayed projects including 9 greenwing that need finshing paint and 6 black cork geese that need to be shaped, sealed and painted. It will get done.

THANK YOU MR. CHASE! And I think I can say that for everyone back here in the USA.

I'm in the same boat Corey. I've been painting and staining/polying trim the last week or so, when I should really be painting my decoys, canoe, and boat trailer.

Last edited:
Yeah John, if I can throw in some hunting prep in between the house work I wont feel completely lost come opening day.

Last edited:
Back