Sneakbox Restoration

Just a fast progress report. Since I'm replacing the oarlocks and going with something a bit more solid I've had to take some time to work through some of the trickle down changes while still trying to use original parts. In the meantime I put on the new motor board and re-attached the thatch rails. Final oarlock placement should be Wednesday.View attachment IMG_9341.JPG

Its been a long time coming, but the sneakbox is finally out of the garage and on wheels. I'm not satisfied with the trailer adjustments yet and will be looking at some options before I take it to water. Also haven't decided if I want to modify the original duckboards to to attach grass or hunt it as it is and build new ones next year. My hope is still to get in a few hunts in this year. This boat hasn't been floated for close to 15 years and and I don't know when the last time it was hunted. My nephew helped at numerous points along the way and part of my thank you to him is this decorative pintail. Hollowed white cedar, finished with acrylics.View attachment IMG_0936.jpgView attachment IMG_0937.jpgView attachment IMG_0208 (00000002).jpg

Bob~

Beautiful work on both floating projects!

How do you plan to "thatch" up your Sneakbox? Do you hunt it sitting up, hiding within the spray curtain?

All the best,

SJS

Thanks Steve!

Yes I'm going lean back and use the spray shield as my hide. I may make a new backrest for next year, but I have one that should suffice for this season. I walked some salt marsh a few weeks back to scouts some spots and cut some spartina in the process. Most of it is 3-4 feet in length and should cover the bow nicely, with a bit for the stern. Still need to gather some shorter grass and make attachments for the duckboards. Time is running out!

Bob

That turned out really nice. The lines are gorgeous and she looks like she'll hunt for many years to come. Congrats on a job well done.

Eric

So after a long process I fell short of my goal to hunt from the sneakbox this season. I did get down to the bay for a short float, but not enough to feel comfortable with the whole rig. Now I plan for next season and to make sure i get a feel for how the box will row, motor and trailer. I'll be out on it this spring and summer for sure. I guess its good to still daydream of next year!View attachment IMG_1983.jpgView attachment IMG_1985.jpgView attachment IMG_1990.jpg

Yes, be very proud of that boat. It is a beaut. Once you get used to what that boat will do, it is hard to hunt from anything else. best of success, Jim B1

James Brown said:
Yes, be very proud of that boat. It is a beaut. Once you get used to what that boat will do, it is hard to hunt from anything else. best of success, Jim B1

Thanks Jim! I'm pretty happy with progress even if it is late. As much as wanted to, it would have been irresponsible to head out into the bay without making sure everything is properly tested.

Back