South Bay Spa Treatment

Did you make one for each side?
What's your thoughts of a top one that can be put on when it's raining rather that a dodger.?

Bill~

I only made the one weather cloth - which can be switched to either side - because you need to see through the leeward board.

re rain cover: A good parka with a hood has always worked for me.....

All the best,

SJS

Gorgeous work, as usual Mr. Sanford. I followed along religiously to the end.

I have an eye for, and really appreciate the fine craftsmanship exhibited, not only in the actual work, but also in your photos and writings.

I also have to make a comment- I see evidence of "old School" here and there. (and that's not a bad thing), I don't know anyone, except you, that still uses straight slotted screws...

Regards,

Jon

Steve, nice job, well thought-out and executed with every detail carefully considered. I've always admired the ingenuity of duck hunters. They all seem to find unique and functional solutions so they can personalize their pursuit. I like all of your unique and creative touches. I think the stern tray is a nice touch but I'd like to see a canvas over the top and maybe one or two small dividers but that is my personalization. Nevertheless, nice job and I know the owner will appreciate your designs and craftsmanship.

Good morning, Jon~

I'm glad you have enjoyed this saga....

Regarding those Old School slotted screws: It's even worse than you think! I actually used my venerable Yankee (ratchet) screwdriver to drive those slotted screws.

Yankee%20Screwdriver_zps9kjo442o.jpg

I am actually a great devotee of cordless drills and square-head screws, but.....I had these bronze screws on hand. I used them ONLY because I could not get the right-size Oval-headed Brass that those eye straps really need.

I built several boats with that ratchet screwdriver - which was my Dad's and which I can remember playing with since kindergarten - but cordless drills - like headlamps, fleece and neoprene waders - are one of those modern technologies I applaud and embrace.

All the best,

SJS

Good morning, Brad~

re the canvas and dividers on the storage bin. I contemplated the very same things - Great Minds????. I hesitated only because 1) this was new for me, and 2) I do not know what gear Bill might want to stow in the bin. I would hate to put in a divider that precluded the storage of any particular object.

Of course, either feature could readily be added in the future - after a season's use.

All the best,

SJS

Just realized this morning this boat is moored 2 slips away from my boats at the marina..Nice work

Incredible pictorial Steve and lots of great ideas, not to mention the craftsmanship! I have a Devlin Scaup that could benefit from some tweaking and tutorial/pictorial posts like this one just might get me there. That was a great "cup of coffee" read. Thanks for sharing!
Troy

Extremely nice work Steve, If you don,t mind me asking that (weather cloth ) you used is that a waterproof canvas?
Fantastic looking rig!

Steve, for rehab future reference, that Duck Works website has aluminum cleats for roughly $4.00/each, a fair bit cheaper than the "Orvis" of ship-chandleries, West Marine. They are closed, not open cleats, which should make them a bit stronger.

RL~

Thanks for reminding me of this site. Not only are their prices and selection great on lots of items I use - but their "catalog" format - with its thumbnails - is much easier to navigate than some of my other standbys.

And, yes, WEST Marine is generally my last resort. On the other hand, they have a retail outlet in Albany - and Washington County is definitely NOT boat country.....

All the best,

SJS

Really enjoying the rear storage bin. It keeps everything organized. Thus far, its been a very slow season. Hopefully, the colder weather this week will turn things on. I have to post up some pics for the members to see; grassed up.

Back