Southbay duckboat who owns them ?

Found my boat 30 years ago in a guys yard, covered in leaves and fill of water. It is a early SB with telephone pole number inside of hull. Had no floatation in the hull and all the wood was toast. Did a total rebuild on the whole boat, but never got to the nav lights, bilge pump, deck lights and a real drain plug. Thinking about the oar locks Steve.
I hunt saltwater creeks on eastern long island [shinnecock and peconic ]. I ran a 9.9 and now a 15hp electric start [I'm older]. I also venture west to hunt brant with a few members of the forum. When I hunt here, I use 6-7 puddle ducks as a rig. It's what I see I the area, seems natural.
Mounted the gas can and battery in the bow to keep the bow down. Still want to do some more mods on it to make it more comfy. maybe decoy rack when shooting brant?

Capt Rich Geminski said:
Found my boat 30 years ago in a guys yard, covered in leaves and fill of water. It is a early SB with telephone pole number inside of hull. Had no floatation in the hull and all the wood was toast. Did a total rebuild on the whole boat, but never got to the nav lights, bilge pump, deck lights and a real drain plug. Thinking about the oar locks Steve.
I hunt saltwater creeks on eastern long island [shinnecock and peconic ]. I ran a 9.9 and now a 15hp electric start [I'm older]. I also venture west to hunt brant with a few members of the forum. When I hunt here, I use 6-7 puddle ducks as a rig. It's what I see I the area, seems natural.
Mounted the gas can and battery in the bow to keep the bow down. Still want to do some more mods on it to make it more comfy. maybe decoy rack when shooting brant?

Mine is a 1982 with telephone pole numbers. It had flotation but the bulkheads were rotted and the foam was thoroughly saturated. I removed it all and replaced aft bulkhead. Left inside bow wide open, tons of storage space. Should probably install a bildge pump soon just in case so I dont have to bail

Yes Steve it was me who sent you those original sales brochures. Glad I saved all that stuff years ago.
Anthony , Do you have any pics of the double wide without grass? The one in the pic looks huge. Was it meant to shoot side by side over the motor like a two man layout boat?
I do recall seeing one with a keyhole shaped cockpit if anyone has a pic please post.

Rossja said:
I always see pictures of guys walking in knee deep water and pulling their boats, if I tried that here in South Jersey I'd be up my armpits after 3 steps

Thats why I like hunting the Gulf Coast! Lots of sandy seagrass shoals!

Love this thread guys, keep the photos of these cool boats coming.

I posted a picture of the numbers on mine, which are not a telephone pole number. I don't believe it's an older model for that reason ... as well as the fact that there are fore and aft bulkheads installed and presumably backed with flotation -- I haven't cut into them to check because they look very sound. There is also foam flotation on the underside of the cockpit, which I understand is a new feature. Any other advice for guestimating a manufacture date? David

Last edited:
Anthony,
Great Photos
I love the first one.
As for the nickname "double wide southbay" I remember being at the duckboat show one year, all the talk was about "the pregnant Southbay"
The pros were all the room the cons was the added weight.

Anthony Babich said:
Hey Bill,

South Bay Duck Boats have been in my family for many many years. It was actually the first boat I tagged along with my father on the Great South Bay at the age of 5. Good boats for sure and as with any also has a few drawbacks but the pros outweigh all that for sure. Right now as of 2021 Joe Hauswirth owns the company based out of Amityville, NY. I believe there were plans for a revamp of the company but they have yet to be fulfilled. My uncle Steve knows more on this I?ll have to find the updates if any.
My father Mike and his brother Steve actually made a few custom models back in the early 80?s they would cut the standard southbay boat down the beam and widen the entire boat 18?. They nicknamed these the double wide southbay custom built behind my grandfathers deli in Massapequa NY. I?ll try and get some images of the builds. Very popular and the hunters who had them made loved the extra cockpit space. My father actually sold the last one they made back in 2018 but we currently have 4 hulls within the family still hunted with. It?s quite a fleet.

When I was about 14 years old I got my first hull from Copiague, NY an old waterfowler who passed away. It was actually one of the grey layout models my father and I converted back to the standard marsh model. That was powered by a 15hp. I sold that in 2013 and switched over to a 14? TDB. My uncle actually runs a 30hp off his southbay currently as he?s about 6?8? hence the nickname ?Meat?

I?ll try and get some updates on where the company direction is going and some old photos of the builds as well.

-Anthony

Bob~

Yes, Mike Marran - in Bayshore - made with a keyhole cockpit to hunt 2 gunners side-by-side. I do not know how many he made.

View attachment F - From stern.jpg

I shot a couple of Broadbill from it one day. A bit snug for 2 guys - but OK as long as you take turns shooting.

All the best,

SJS

My 1982 has foam under the top deck. And I pulled mine about 10-15 off a mud flat few weeks ago, wasn't that bad, but not easy either.

The push pole has become my greatest tool, the boat pushes very well.

Last edited:
I like the added width which solves the motor hitting the sides of the well. It doesn't appear to make the boat tuff to hide, If I find a South Bay I would definitely do that mod.

Joe

Joe Daly said:
I like the added width which solves the motor hitting the sides of the well. It doesn't appear to make the boat tuff to hide, If I find a South Bay I would definitely do that mod.

Joe

I am considering chopping the inside rear corners of the whale tails, just enough so the prop clears when motor is in shallow mode and turned to side. I need to figure out how to back it though.

Has anyone taken any lines and measurements off a boat? They could be close enough to fair with a batten . There are enough re build photos(thanks Steve) to fill in the blanks. Wouldn't want to infringe on anyone's proprietary design , just saying.

Patrick ,Your framework looks so clean and simple, might try to use that on a future project
Don, may take you up on viewing keyhole boat , I am going to be out that way picking up decoys
Anthony , great pics of the boats Thanks so so much
So in his brochure the builder states that he has sold them in about every state. For anyone not in the east, does the boat work in your hunting location ? How have you used or adapted it?
Great thread gentlemen

Mark~

It looks like that vessel can be rigged for sailing - with plugs for the mast step and daggerboard slot. I have never seen one in the flesh. I believe they used a rig from a Sunfish.

All the best,

SJS

Back