Southbay duckboat who owns them ?

Capt Rich Geminski said:
I used 3/8 marine plywood for my flaps. I made small chocks [wedges] to adjust the angle of the boards. They are tied with decoy line so I don't lose them. I tried slots in the boards, but the cold wind blows through, bad idea.
I like the flaps to fold down to the deck when trailering, some like them flat to lay the decoys on.

When building my flaps the most important factor was that when folded down and out they rested on the grass rail at a downward angle. I mostly hunt solo and in tidal mud that will swallow you whole. I need to be able to hop back in boat easily. That flaps act as a nice slide surface getting in and out.

Ok who here has gone through ice with it?

Going out tomorrow for Veteran day hunt and everything here in NJ is freezing up. I'm going to give it a go, scouting at sunset and doesnt look too bad

I have
The way I do it is to approach the Ice slow. Then give it some gas, you will either brake the Ice or get on top.
If you get on top make sure you have a way of shoving on the Ice.

Rossja said:
Ok who here has gone through ice with it?

Going out tomorrow for Veteran day hunt and everything here in NJ is freezing up. I'm going to give it a go, scouting at sunset and doesnt look too bad

Phil~

That boat was my own design - and first I built, circa 1982. I lofted it full size but never made formal measured drawings. She was about 11'6 LOA - to accommodate 1.5 sheets of marine plywood along the curve of the bottom and about 4'0 beam; drew about 3 inches. She had a perfectly smooth bottom (no strakes or skeg) and could be poled over wet mud if needed. I pushed her with a 9.9 Johnson.

If I built her today, I would arc the fore and after coamings to follow the crown of the deck.

https://stevenjaysanford.com/a-one-man-grassboat-my-first-duckboat-build/

A great one-man vessel - sold it after a few years to build a 2-man.

I often wonder if she's still hunting....

All the best,

SJS

Anthony Babich, does your family have any photos of their process on widening the South Bay boats? Other than improving the lack of positive fore-aft rocker, it appears to address the vast majority of design flaw issues with these hulls.

Rick, I will swing by my uncle's this week and ask him. I'm sure they have some old photos laying around somewhere.

Question regarding the flap boards.

Were the fiberglass flap boards I have seen on the many SB original to the design? They have rounded corners and a one center or two spaced half round stiffener beads in the fiberglass running the full length.

Thanks

I have never see a factory fiberglass flap boards it was never offered as an option.
Many have made ther own or at least fiberglassed there plywood boards.

the flaps are a mold i built for the marsh hawk boat i would custom make them to southbay size i believe 5 ft the hawks flaps are 7 ft i bring them to duck boat show and sell in pairs some bought complete kits grass rails and hinges the flaps on hawk would extend to just before motor to help hide it as for dodger i have mold to make them also the canvas dodger was an option from southbay boats back in day in old school camo very nice hide and got you out of weather the dodger would enclose the whole cockpit it has a zip out to gun from i still have the original

I guess two questions,

Do you have any photos and do you still sell the dodger and 7 foot boards?

I looking to upgrade the ad-hoc flap boards on my Duck Wrangler 14 to something a bit more sturdy and taller.

Thanks

Fred

I like it.
Camo patterns are over-rated, IMO.
Keep it drab and add some highlights & shadows.
Done.
My current boat is solid open water grey.

You and my dad would get along. He said the exact same thing. [smile]

Carl said:
I like it.
Camo patterns are over-rated, IMO.
Keep it drab and add some highlights & shadows.
Done.
My current boat is solid open water grey.

David~

I think any camoflage pattern needs to be on a large scale - think big blocks of varying tone or color - to be effective. Breaking up the apparent size or shape of a vessel or blind is what I'm thinking of.

I suspect any Grey will work open bay - and also beneath thatch once in the marsh.

I've often thought this Sunfish conversion would hide nicely in the marsh with just some wrack thrown onto her decks.

View attachment 51 Gilgo Gunboat - cowling, lap cover, stripes.jpg

All the best,

SJS

Back