Vintage Gunning Box

The gunning boxes were designed and used in the upper mid west. Used in single man marshboats mostly. The gun cradle kept the gun handy for jumpshooting, and dispatching cripples. Also to keep the gun somewhere "safe" and pointed in the proper direction. They worked in all weather conditions during the time of paper and brass hull reloaded shells. If they worked then they sure as hell will work now. Salt water gunning is not where they were birthed and used, that is another hunting situation.

If you have ever sneak hunted shallow marshes, and thin water areas when ya put down the paddle and reach for the shotgun ya know WHY the cradle was designed and used very well. Many times the gunner is kneeling when the shot it taken. They were one of the tools of market hunters, and when limits were very high. The tools had to work or they were not used. Only essentials were put in the boat, unlike today when everything but the kitchen sink goes along.

Vince Pagliaroli said:
The gunning boxes were designed and used in the upper mid west. Used in single man marshboats mostly. The gun cradle kept the gun handy for jumpshooting, and dispatching cripples. Also to keep the gun somewhere "safe" and pointed in the proper direction. They worked in all weather conditions during the time of paper and brass hull reloaded shells. If they worked then they sure as hell will work now. Salt water gunning is not where they were birthed and used, that is another hunting situation.

If you have ever sneak hunted shallow marshes, and thin water areas when ya put down the paddle and reach for the shotgun ya know WHY the cradle was designed and used very well. Many times the gunner is kneeling when the shot it taken. They were one of the tools of market hunters, and when limits were very high. The tools had to work or they were not used. Only essentials were put in the boat, unlike today when everything but the kitchen sink goes along.

I don't think Eric is looking to manufacture a period correct relic, but something functional and beautiful yet grounded in history. The vast majority of waterfowlers that would be drawn to a box like that are the small boat cork decoy crowd, that isn't the midwest from what I've seen when I lived there. Either way, a large part of the market today would be coastal gunners that deal with saltwater, be it from a TDB or a sneakbox.

Hardly anyone sneak hunts shallow marshes out of marsh boats anymore, does the cradle have utility beyond that? not for me and a gun in the cradle would be nothing but in the way in a box blind, sneakbox, canoe, jon boat or just about any situation other than a person sneaking.

Most everyone hunts out of motorized boats and hence my comments about waterproofing and spray, which is a lot bigger problem in a boat with a motor than during the era of a market hunter sailing, paddling or poling.

The only waterfowl hunters that I know in the Atlantic flyway that did good all season long this season are Marsh Hunters. Doesn't cost a arm and a leg and it works. That folks would rather not hunt that way is fine with them. But it sure as hell is not dead.

Ditto what I was going to reply Vince. Marsh hunting isn't nearly as prevalent as it used to be but still a very peaceful endeavor.

Vince Pagliaroli said:
The only waterfowl hunters that I know in the Atlantic flyway that did good all season long this season are Marsh Hunters. Doesn't cost a arm and a leg and it works. That folks would rather not hunt that way is fine with them. But it sure as hell is not dead.

Someone who uses a hunting style that "doesn't cost an arm and a leg" - yep that is the target for a $500 dollar gunning box. Makes a ton of sense.

tod osier said:
Vince Pagliaroli said:
The only waterfowl hunters that I know in the Atlantic flyway that did good all season long this season are Marsh Hunters. Doesn't cost an arm and a leg and it works. That folks would rather not hunt that way is fine with them. But it sure as hell is not dead.

Someone who uses a hunting style that "doesn't cost an arm and a leg" - yep that is the target for a $500 dollar gunning box. Makes a ton of sense.

I think Vince is referring more to the methodology and the atmosphere of hunting in a solitude, quiet, peaceful style -- At least that's how I interpreted his comment. No matter how we slice it, duck hunting is an expensive hobby/passion/endeavor/obsession.

Don't know about $500, but I listed one this week on eBay $120. That's probably steep to some, but I put serious, deliberate thought into what I make and the materials I use. We'll see if it sells, I suppose. [cool] I've never tried to sell one before.

I've made quite a few, 30 or so, and since I'm a cheapskate I make them out of recycled free pallet wood. I try to make them look like a farmer went out to his lumber pile and picked out a few pine boards and nailed them together, grabbed some worn-out harness leather for a handle and hinges and painted them with whatever muted green or yellow paint he could mix up. I do put a little removable box elevated on cleats inside. I like them long enough to sit on between the gun supports. I've never used any corner brackets.
Truth be told, of all the ones I've given away, I don't think they get much use. They aren't waterproof, and are relatively heavy
In Wisconsin we call them Poygan shell boxes, for the east central part of the state where duck skiffs were used in the extensive marshes.
DSC02296.JPGDSC02298.JPG

DSC02296.JPG

This subject has me excited to take on a new project. It looks like fun, probably no more than one weekend of spare time for a modest box. Problem is settling on dimensions. The photos posted by Dave look attractive dimensionally, but as he says a bit heavy. I'm thinking of one for a buddy who loves driven pheasant shoots. They get all dressed up in jackets and plus nines, it's a real production. If I can make one light enough to be carried around, I think he'd get a huge kick out of it. I drew a few sketches but just can't settle. Right now I'm leaning toward planing lumber down to 1/2" and a box around 15 x 8 x 8. It doesn't need to be as sturdy as it would for being banged around in a duck boat. I doubt he would sit on it. The wheels are turning.

SJ Fairbank said:
This subject has me excited to take on a new project. It looks like fun, probably no more than one weekend of spare time for a modest box. Problem is settling on dimensions. The photos posted by Dave look attractive dimensionally, but as he says a bit heavy. I'm thinking of one for a buddy who loves driven pheasant shoots. They get all dressed up in jackets and plus nines, it's a real production. If I can make one light enough to be carried around, I think he'd get a huge kick out of it. I drew a few sketches but just can't settle. Right now I'm leaning toward planing lumber down to 1/2" and a box around 15 x 8 x 8. It doesn't need to be as sturdy as it would for being banged around in a duck boat. I doubt he would sit on it. The wheels are turning.

Dimensions can vary for every situation and use. The main concern (for me) is that they provide a solid foundation for the gun in the cradle. To narrow a box and it might be a problem. As far as weight they can be made to be very lightweight, until they are full then they can get heavy. More than 2 boxes of shells can do it.

Your idea of a gift for your friend would be a good one for driven pheasant shooting. I've not done the all dressed up shoots, but have been on such shoots. 2 or 3 boxes of shells could be enough. The box you have in mind will be sturdy and impressive. What wood to use for the cradle, and how you plan to secure it to the box is important.

Please post a photo when complete. Your friend will enjoy it, and maybe start a trend with the other shooters. You could be a busy man making more boxes.

Best regards
Vince

Thank you for starting this thread Eric. Some very good input.

To inspire folks, not discourage creativity is a wonderful thing.

VP

The box I showed you was 17 1/2 by 8 1/4 wide by 8 inches high, with the gun holding ends up to 16 inches. For your friend's use, I would probably go for even more show- walnut or cedar or if you make it out of pine stain it to look like walnut. and there you could use corner protectors to dress it up. I'm assuming he would leave it in the coach, not carry it along. Big enough for a couple of boxes of shells, a dog whistle, pair of gloves, maybe a cucumber sandwich. Post a pic- it sounds like a fun project!

my only addition to this piece has nothing to do with the box but has to do with contents. My favorite addition in the past few years is a couple of the led puck lights for under cabinets. So much better than a flashlight. So much so that i now have them all over my truck.

Kris that brings up the topic of just what should go in the box. Being a minimalist, I think of just the bare bones essentials I use every time I hunt. Here is my list of essentials. Others may want to pack a lot of stuff. I'm interested in what folks would want to keep handy in a gunning box.

• Shells (2 boxes max)
  • Chokes & wrench
  • Calls
  • Head light
  • Ear plugs
  • License and boat registration
  • Folding knife
  • Cell Phone (I often keep it in my pocket but a place in the box makes sense too)
  • Probably forgetting a thing or two

I googled Range Box wood, that brought up plenty of examples to help get the ideas moving.

32-tc-32.jpg

Orvis makes an upland hunting box

OrvisBox.jpg

Last edited:
I had toyed with making one a few times. I have some sketches somewhere. I wanted to make the gun cradle dovetailed to it could be removed. Carrying the box without the cradle exposed I think would survive better. There have been plenty of shore hunts that a cradle would be nice.

Dave Evenson said:
I've made quite a few, 30 or so, and since I'm a cheapskate I make them out of recycled free pallet wood. I try to make them look like a farmer went out to his lumber pile and picked out a few pine boards and nailed them together, grabbed some worn-out harness leather for a handle and hinges and painted them with whatever muted green or yellow paint he could mix up. I do put a little removable box elevated on cleats inside. I like them long enough to sit on between the gun supports. I've never used any corner brackets.
Truth be told, of all the ones I've given away, I don't think they get much use. They aren't waterproof, and are relatively heavy
In Wisconsin we call them Poygan shell boxes, for the east central part of the state where duck skiffs were used in the extensive marshes.

You have captured the essence of the Poygan shell box. It looks great!

North American Decoy Collectors Association show April 25-29, 2023, Lombard, Illinois.

"Wisconsin Gunning Boxes on Display Once Again. Classic Lake Poygan (WI) gunning boxes.

The news letter recently arrived and it's a good one.

Back