Vintage Gunning Box

Eric,

As has been shown on here, the most common in the Midwest, specifically Wisconsin, is the Poygan Box (for Lake Poygan...one of the traditional gunning areas). They were utilitarian, each hunter making them from what he had on hand. I've seen them with old ceramic knobs, brass or black iron handles, drawers, angled lids, flat lids...you name it. A lot like duck decoys, they were "the same", but differently interpreted by each person who made them. They were made to keep the gun up out of the water and out of the way in a duck skiff, and keep it at the ready. Many of them had "feet" also.

I always thought a box like this would be very classy for a dove shoot.

A loooooong time ago, I think it was Steve Sutton who posted up a gunning box used by Worth Mathewson that is a simple, rectangular box. Top side has a board held by a wooden peg for gloves/maps (if I remember correctly), bottom compartment held shells, calls, and sundries. The box was built "tall" enough and sturdy enough that it could be used as a seat in a sneakbox for rowing....obviously, no gun cradle to get in the way. But it also made the most of the area in a sneakbox...storage, seat, etc.

I am in the process of trying to figure out a gunning box for a client who has 6 dove decoys of mine...build it so he can put the decoys, stakes and a couple boxes of shells into it. And he wants 6 more decoys, too...so it needs to hold a dozen...

Rick,

Just a thought from my experience. Dove decoys (handmade) inside a gunning box with other items don't get along very well unless a special area as you wrote (takes up space makes the box bigger & heavier), or the decoys and stakes in cloth bags. I have done it using the cloth bags, and only 2 boxes of shells, plus other items. Mine does have the gun cradle. They are classy and very useful for dove hunting as you stated.

A friend of mine uses BOLLA Wine Gift Selection light weight wooden boxes. Converts them into slotted hand made Dove Decoy Boxes that do a very good job. Just a idea that I thought I would pass on.

It would be good to make one box just for Dove hunting, and another for waterfowl. I have another box ready to be made for Dove hunting, but as of yet No Dove hunting in NY.

The paint or the finish can be as elaborate or as plain as you choose. "It's your world....." - Bob Ross

my 2 cents

Rick

Great to hear from you and appreciate your inputs. I've re-read this thread numerous times and each time pick up on something new. A dove decoy box is a really unique item that I know of nowhere a fella could pick one up, hence a great candidate for a shop project. I've sent the tooling for my box joint machine out for sharpening and hope to have it back and the machine running in a couple of weeks. Then I'll get started at implementing some of these ideas. I'll post up what I come up with. It will be an evolutionary process.

Eric

Vince,

That is a good idea about the wine boxes.

I am going to be using cypress for the dove box and have thought about planing it down to 1/2" or even 3/8" just to save a little weight. Most readily available hinges, though, are made for thicker stock. My intent is to either have drawers for the dove decoys with wool felt lined "cradles" (like mini gun cradles) or cradle/trays that could lift out. But yes, it could get big and bulky and unusable very quickly.

I have a Gerstner chest for my flytying kit, and while I don't want to go that fancy, I was thinking about something along those lines conceptually. The biggest problem I have is that being a decoy carver, I am not a "fine woodworker", so building a box is actually more vexing to me than figuring out decoys....

I also considered making a set of gun cradles that could be removable....but again, more junk to build a space for in the box.

Fun project....

Not one of those things that will make you rich, but a lot of fun and good knowledge to have.

I saw one box online with a half dozen or so dove decoys that a carver had built and was selling...it was a familiar name, but I can't call it to mind offhand...maybe Ben Heinemann? And I think Bob Furia might have done something along those lines as well.

My father has an original Poygan box that he picked up at a show somewhere a few years back; I'll see if I can find the pictures somewhere and post them. Relics from a different era and mindset - you can't go buy a waterproof, floating blind bag at Bass Pro down the road....so make yourself a box to hold two boxes of shells, gloves, calls and the gun while you're rowing out with 18 decoys to go shoot canvasbacks...

Rick,

Man O Man are we ever on the same page.

Fly fishermen and Decoy Carvers as you well stated "not a fine woodworker". Vexing for sure, cuz we mostly "eyeball" in decoy carving. Don't know about you, but could never duplicate any of my carvings to look alike. We don't like staying within the lines. [;)] Thank goodness.

Fact is the dovetailed boxes I have were made in my friends boatworks with his expertise, and machinery using my design. The runners and Mahogany gun cradle by my hand. Sealed with Smiths Custom Wood Epoxy, and then painted Olive drab. A mixture of Ronan and Rust-Oleum that has held up very well.

I look forward to seeing what you create to get the job done with class and personal style.

Best regards
Vince

First attempt, already starting on number 2. This one is doweled and glued, the only hardware are the brass bolts holding the handle. I'm going to load it with lead and see how much weight it will handle before I proceed with the second box.

Material is #2 pine, 8"x1" planed to 9/16". To my eye, that's as thin as I would trust pine. The top slides and can be removed. I wanted the gun to sit fairly level over the box, Im pleased with how it sits. Subsequent boxes will have a notch to transition from wood to leather in the cradle. Otherwise unremarkable. Think I will paint the next one.
20230225_161035.jpg20230225_161048.jpg20230225_161108.jpg

Very Well Done!! I really like that sliding lid. It solves so many problems related to installing the handle. Great Work!

Thank you for sharing.

Joe F

Good looking box!

I like the stain, but paint is the "traditional" finish...same duckboat paint used for the skiff, the oars, and whatever else...utility and frugality.

Rick Pierce said:
Nice bunch of dippers...

Like the old "Broadbill" diver call, too....

Mr. Pierce,

Thank you. First time I heard them called Dippers was many years ago hunting in Chincoteague. A fine name indeed.

You have a very good eye.

Searched high and low for a old Broadbill Call in working condition for a long time. Found that one at the old Ohio Decoy Show in the 1990's, for $35. The call does work, and works very well. It has been on every diver hunt in many places since I've been the caretaker. Some say diver calls do not work, I disagree.

Best regards
Vince

Here's my latest gunning box: made from white pine I got from LOWE's. I planed the board to 1/2" thickness. Cotton canvas webbing came from Amazon. It's 1.5" wide and secured with slotted brass wood screws. This box is 14.25" long x 9" deep x 11" high at top of gun cradle. Those measurements closely resemble the dimensions of a standard wooden shotgun shell case. Olive drab paint. I painted the bluebill on front using a stencil to create the outline. Leather pads are glued to the cradles to cushion the shotgun. Snap closure for the lid.

This is kinda fun.

20230302_151920.jpgView attachment IMG_20230302_154559_160.jpg20230302_151920.jpgView attachment IMG_20230302_154559_093.jpg

20230302_151920.jpg

Last edited:
SJ & Joe

Man, you guys are hard at it. Meanwhile I'm waiting for my box joint cutters to come back from sharpening and then I've got a long list of projects to complete before I dive into box making. You guys keep at it. Nice work.

Eric

I like your latest Joe. It's giving me an idea or two to try. Wish I had more time to devote to it. Retirement isn't too far away.

Eric Patterson said:
SJ & Joe

Man, you guys are hard at it. Meanwhile I'm waiting for my box joint cutters to come back from sharpening and then I've got a long list of projects to complete before I dive into box making. You guys keep at it. Nice work.

Eric

Once you get geared up, I suspect you'll put the rest of us to shame.

SJ

I don't know about that. You guys are a lot more creative than me, and I tend to get analysis paralysis at times. Also, I tend to think this is one of those projects where the vintage look comes heavily into play so being able to do precision work isn't really that much of a plus.

Eric

Last edited:
Joe,

Looks great.

Eric,

I am sure any box will be good as well. I have been noticing lock corner wooden boxes more now when looking at antique photos.

Rick

Eric Patterson said:
SJ

I don't know about that. You guys are a lot more creative than me, and I tend to get analysis paralysis at times. Also, I tend to think this is one of those projects where the vintage look comes heavily into play so being able to do precision work isn't really that much of a plus.

Eric

I believe the vintage look is important, and enhanced by quality craftsmanship which is always pleasing to the eye. You'll do quality work.

Back