Whats on the workbench in April.

regarding the canvas buffalump-tell him to get them to havre de grace, first weekend in may, and to bring boots--Dekes should be rigged with at least 5' per-Rig comp is specific-this year, it is buffies, and will be held on saturday-Register them inthe museum, and set in the water, below the museum, on the historic flats! No big prizes, just bragging rights for the year!!!

That's right, Buffies are the duck of the year...and the Museum changed the rig comp to allow canvas as well.

So what is the rig bird for 2013?...I need to get a head start.

Thanks guys, hope to see some successful gunning pics after a week or two.

Bob, Lines on that woodrow are great.

Jode, the turkeys are awesome. Takes a lot of bawls to even consider undertaking a project like that. One would have impressed the hell out of me! How many tubes of paint did you go through?

Thanks Paul, It was a big push to get them done.......paint, well lets just say I'll be placing another order to dick blick before I can finish anything else! LOL!

Chuck, it kinda hinges on the comp at clayton--We are trying to connect both, actually three--Making different rigs for each comp, especialy for those folks who dabble, was a problem. Mike Smyser and i worked out the logistics with Tom Humberstons, but when he got out of the chair at clayton, apparently, the list we figured out had gone by the wayside.. Once i get a handle on it, and contact Glenn, i will let you all know.

Tod, the dove is awesome! Great attitude.

Jode, I showed your turkey decoys to my wife. I asked her if something like that would look good in the house for decoration. She loved the classy, folksy look of the oils so I think I got the go ahead to give one a try. May even have to take up turkey hunting.

Tod,
At first glance I thought you were kidding and showing us your reference material. Then I saw the clothes pin. Very impressive dove what are your plans for it.

You guys rock! The work I see on here each month is completely inspirational. The doe is amazing. Like Brandon, I had to look at it several times to pick up on the clothes pin until I realized it wasn't real. Jode's turkeys are amazing. I would love to hunt over them. Brandon your blacks and mergs are beautiful.

I have two options. I need to figure out how to be rich so that I can afford to purchase some from each of you guys, or I need to figure out how to care something. I think the first one would probably be easier to figure out.

Keep up the awesome work. All of you.

Thanks for the kind comments everyone. The dove is cedar with oil paints. I entered it in the Westlake (ODCCA) Dove decoy contest and lost out to at least 3 other very nice doves. My mom did a low-head dove watercolor painting with the same pose, so I am thinking of giving it to her.

Tod, WOW, That dove looks real nice job!

Bob love the lines of that frond.

Thanks guys for the compliments.

I wanted to create some functional but also very unique with these Turkey's.

I tried to add some idea elements I have had in my mind for the past few years, but just needed the right project to use them on.

Last edited:
All of you guys do really good work and it is amazing to see what you can do. The only time I have hunted over hand carved decoys was with Lee L. and the ducks wanted in!!!! Anyway, my question is that every time I look at everyone's decoys, they look so shiny. Like Jode's beautiful turkeys, the shine is quite noticeable. Is it just the lighting or what? By the way Jode, those turkeys are amazing. Trip.

Thanks Trip,
That's what you get when you take pics in full sun, lol.
There is some shine, more of a sheen actually.

I kinda like it, and it's the nature of how I mix my tube oils. I can get them to dry from flat to gloss, but I like it somewhere in between.

Never had any problem with the Turkey's coming in, or the ducks for that matter.

I think the idea that a decoy needs to be totally flat is off base. But folks can and will believe in what they feel works, and that's OK too..........

Dunk the dekes in the salt a few time and the shine dulls down considerably. Just the nature of the paint. Always changing, mellowing etc.

It will look different in 10 years than it does the day it's finished.

Back