Whats on the workbench in April.

100_2632.jpg

100_2693.jpg

Hi Jeff. Are those deeks laminated 2x construction grade boards? If so, what are using to shape the bodies? I found when I used to use construction grade materials, that depending on what board I was cutting through, I might hit hard or soft spots. If you are finding that, get close to where you want to be, then finish up with a seriously coarse rasp. Don't forget to post pics of them when they're done....

John Bourbon

Chuck, you mentioned you use a tool to mark your center lines. What is it called or do you have a pic of it?

Thanks,

Brian

05n3323s1.jpg

http://www.leevalley.com/...9455&cat=1,42936

I have the standard, non-graduated one, don't think they had the graduated ones when I got mine or I likely would have got one.

Chuck

Yeow!

Chuck,

.... and here I thought only guitarists could become "gearheads."

If'n you guys want a less expensive alternative to marking (& remarking) the center line as you carve, I'd suggest the fine tools pictured below - Ruler, sharpie or ballpoint for cork (pencil works fine for wood), and save a few of those flexible, straight-edge packing bands for when you get to the point where you've made your bandsaw cutout:

View attachment 001 (600 x 399).jpg

Tell you what Chuck, send me what you paid for those center markers, and I'll send you TWO of these complete high-tech center marking kits ;-) ;-)
I'd even throw in one of those Super-secret, Magic Finishing Light Bulbs I've heard stories about !!!! .....But I think you'd have to be smoking whatever you're growing under those lightbulbs to believe that one.

Last edited:
Bob

I had that tool in the chest before I started making decoys, but it comes in quite handy for heads and would otherwise be collecting dust.

Chuck

Hi Jeff. Are those deeks laminated 2x construction grade boards? If so, what are using to shape the bodies? I found when I used to use construction grade materials, that depending on what board I was cutting through, I might hit hard or soft spots. If you are finding that, get close to where you want to be, then finish up with a seriously coarse rasp. Don't forget to post pics of them when they're done....

John Bourbon
they sure are. leftover from garage construction i'm using a table belt sander and a dremmel with extesion and a rasp bit yes i'm having the same
problem it doesn't seem to matter how gentle you are it still does it i'll try the rasp

This all I managed to do this month, A hen mallard that I did for the decoy swap. I held off on posting it until it made it to its destination. HD tan cork, basswood head, mahogany keel, Acrylic paint. I try to add something new to every decoy, just to slowly add in more details little at a time. This time I added a little raised relief to the primaries. It was quick and easy, and I really like what it added to the decoy so I'll be doing it from here out. I still need to work on blending my paint where my different base colors meet. That may be my next addition. In the end I had a hard time putting this decoy in the box and saying goodbye. I'll have to get right back at it I guess.

540423_10100175898320256_10514206_41570797_263349724_n.jpg

549359_10100175898390116_10514206_41570798_898307380_n.jpg

546353_10100175898499896_10514206_41570801_153236737_n.jpg

Charles that hen is gorgeous. It retains would have been hard saying goodbye to it. I really like your three black ducks that you have been working on. I would be more than happy to hunt over them for you for a season or two. Just so you get an unbiased opinion on how well they work. :)

I'm just pullin' your chain, Chuck. Those would be nice for a sereious woodworker to have in his shop.

Are you saying I'm not a serious woodworker???

I believe he is saying your more suited to the kitchen and housework like sewing then shop work like woodworking..

Is that what your saying Bob?

"[font=Verdana,Arial,Helvetica]Charles that hen is gorgeous. It retains would have been hard saying goodbye to it. I really like your three black ducks that you have been working on. I would be more than happy to hunt over them for you for a season or two. Just so you get an unbiased opinion on how well they work. :)"[/font]
[font=Verdana,Arial,Helvetica]
CAnderson, thanks for the kind words! I'd like to get a couple more black ducks done for this fall. If I happen to shoot a nice black duck in a NJ marsh this upcoming season I would probably be so happy I'd forget 2 or 3 of my decoys in the marsh ;)
[/font]

Charles- if you need a place to lose them this fall or winter look me up. I know a couple of good spots those sneaky buggers like to hide.

Geoff- those look like they are shaping up to be something really special. Looking forward to seeing paint on them.

Back