Whats on the workbench in August?

My first time to post on the work bench thread. My first three wood birds and trying to man up enough to paint them. Please point me in the direction so my next ones get better. Hopefully in next month's thread I can show them with clothes on.

5612448b.jpg

Neil

Nice work everyone. Tom like the teal and Tim the painting is cool.

Here's a pair of mini's about 8" long.

Last edited:
I sure wish I had the talent of the crowd that hangs out here. I have been painting and trying to figure it out as I go. This is only my second attempt at painting anything other than a wall and I still have lots of work to do but I wanted to see what the head looked like in natural light and not indoors. That has been the biggest surprise for me.

decoy003.jpg

All I an say is WOW!!! you guys have some real talent... Im just starting into the decoy thing and I got a work bench covered with some old herters bodies that I am burlapping and repainting into Old Sqaws which I am having Caz Russell do the heads for me but I am planning on starting a new project totally of my own...

Looks great Paul!! Great job on the head. It is always hard to tell on a single pic but it looks like you could have dragged a little of that black from the front of the cheek into the chestnut color in the head to give a smoother transition between the two colors so it just blends from one to the other. Great job though and you should be proud. I only wish my second bird looked half that good.

Paul M.

What's wrong with that duck? Looks great to me. The things is you need to make your own decoy that pleases your eye. Looks like you are well on your way.

I've always wanted to get in on this thread but never have anything to show off it seems. Well I have been busy lately and here's a few pics. I know none of it is actually on my work bench, but by special amendment the workbench boundaries sometimes get extended to include the kitchen table.

Cleaning up a ram skull for a friend. Don't tell Jane but I don't think that pot should be used for soup for a while.

View attachment DSCF7583.jpg

Cleaned some wolf skulls. The little one is a coyote.

View attachment DSCF7575.jpg

Did up some bear skulls.

View attachment DSCF7582.jpg

Polar bear that needs some attention.

View attachment DSCF7576.jpg

And I finally got around to trying sheep horn for knife handle. It sure stinks when you cut it, but I really like the finished product.

View attachment DSCF7602.jpg

The only decoy project going on is Fred's cracked Canvasback decoy, but I am planning to get a few done this winter.

MIke

Paul M.

What's wrong with that duck? Looks great to me. The things is you need to make your own decoy that pleases your eye. Looks like you are well on your way.

Thanks guys!

The cool thing for me is that I actually made this to my own pattern. I think the head isn't quite right but I can live with it. I still have to paint the tail and the back. Unfortunately when I painted the head I was going very slowly trying to get it the way I wanted. By the time I went back to blend the darker face with the lighter chestnut I found the dark paint was already drying. I think I put a bit too much copal in it as it dried too quickly and didn't want to cooperate. I will learn with time.

Carving the bird and then painting it is like therapy for me. I lose all track of time. I have always enjoyed woodworking so this is just a new way to bring two hobbies together.

Now I need to find a good supply of cedar up here. I can get just about everything except cedar.

Great to see the new generation at work.

Mike, fantastic collection, like that knife as well, don't see to many sheep horn knives, over here.

two more of the solid cork buffies. 2 more to do and I'll have 10 to sell. I'd love to keep them but realistically they will never be hunted by me. hopefully I can sell them and buy more carving stock of some sort

bufflheadsleepers.jpg

I posted simply to get this thread back to the main page since the stat padder pushed it into oblivion. Enjoy seeing everyone's work. Keep it coming.

Back