Whats on the workbench in August?

Always great to see the variety of work posted here...Nice work

This is a cedar Redhead with a jelutong head. It's part of another pair of bachelors.

12-RH02-5.jpg

Last edited:
cinnamon teal getting his clothes on. found a body i cut out years ago in the garage. Looked tealish so I whipped up a head for it. Trying to clear out all the bits and pieces in the garage before buying new wood/cork.

7812122878_6b3d7132ed_c.jpg

Jeff cool cin. I painted one this spring by far one of the most fun birds I have painted. He is going to be a looker

some new stuff I am working on. trying to add a little curve to my birds, thanks to Mr. Schupp it is coming along nicely.

976ABFE9.jpg

Jeff cool cin. I painted one this spring by far one of the most fun birds I have painted. He is going to be a looker

thank you sir! going to try my best not to overdo it. I want the most simple paint scheme that says cinnamon. my last (and first cinnamon) has a single color for the feathers on the back. this one might get two :)

schupp and i emailed back and forth years ago. He was gracious with tips/patterns. great guy. He's on the short list of people that I said "if I can ever just make a decoy like that..." I'll be pleased.

Last edited:
Doug,
I really like that buffy. I was making a buffy rig and slacked off. Seeing your decoy makes me wanna get back at it.

Jeff, if you need a color-paint-reference, drop me an e mail at gwdecoys@verizon.net both male and female at your disposal. Truth be known, onthe hen, exceptfor no eyeline, she is similar,,almost,, to the bwt hen.

I think it's done. wish I lived closer to some of the folks I admire. sure would love to take years off of the curve. I know I'm progressing, but I hate not learning new technique. the paint looks kindergartenish.

cinnamontealdone1.jpg

cinnamontealdone2.jpg

Finally something small enough to fit on the bench.... These are for John Bourbon's new boat build:

Friday I glued up these blanks, darker wood is Ipe, the other 2 are Mahogany.

195874_4477447460565_128975311_n.jpg

First I squared them up, and then layed out a half of the cleat. Free handed a pattern, the went to the drill press.

195874_4477447580568_14885700_n.jpg

Onto the bandsaw. Cut out one end of one cleat and then traced that on the other blank. Once that was cut out, then traced it to the other end of the first cleat.

195874_4477447620569_1205307232_n.jpg

Next worked with the rotary rasp, and then some clean up with the 1/2" drum samder on the dremel.

195874_4477447700571_668196091_n.jpg

Need some hand sanding to remove the tooling marks, but nearly done.

195874_4477447820574_572759526_n.jpg

That cinnamon teal is fantastic, I just saw a cinnie drake on a canoe trip yesterday that was still almost fully colored up. Beautiful bird! Those cleats are fantastic too, I love it when things are so much nicer than they really need to be. Anyway, here's what I have been working on lately:

MMframe1.jpg

MMframe2.jpg

I built a longtail mud motor a few years ago and decided to refurbish the frame with a bearing housing on the top of the shaft and a new, longer shaft tube. Only cost me $30 in new steel to weld a new shaft tube and braces on, and I could reuse most of my old hardware. Can't wait to try it out on my BBIII!

Cody,
What plan did you use or did you come up with on you own? I was thinking about building one. I have all the steel just need a motor,shaft and prop.

Chad, I took the plans from Mad Mud Motors that you can buy on Ebay and modified them a bit for a longer shaft length and to use a bearing at the top end of the shaft. The bearing housing is taken off a Beavertail longtail. If you have some welding and machining skills longtails are pretty easy to make, and you can save yourself a pile of money by making your own. Keep us posted if you decide to build your own!

Back