What's on your WORK BENCH ? - March 2020

Steve Sanford said:
Thanks for the kind words, Eric!

I just noticed, though, that I got the date wrong - my eye still misses a few things. That first zero should be a nine....

All the best,

SJS

That error slipped right past me.

Good morning, All~

This high-head Black Duck will be for my own rig. He's hollow Atlantic White Cedar with a Basswood head - and will get a McCormick-style flat keel.

View attachment SJS Black Duck 02 - FULL port.JPG

I am experimenting with the paint scheme. The feather edging was inspired by the Down East Sport Craft bird from last month.

All the best,

SJS

I used the Al McCormick keel design when I rebuilt some Cabela's cork Mallards that had bodies broken off at the tail. Really toughened them up. Al knew how to make a durable decoy.

Joe

"That first zero should be a nine...."

I thought either that's a time stamp or one really old decoy!!!

Hi Steve , Very nice plain bird. Your black should do well. unforshanate i still cant find the brant i recently MADE for your show, some one had to steel it out of my shop, for i never lock it . i will from now on . SORRY I CANT MAKE YOUR SHOW FOR HEALTH REASONS sTAY IN TOUCH PAUL

Paul~

Thanks for the kind words.

I will be bringing a Brant of my own - not competing, just for "show & tell" like the Black Duck.

Here is a teaser......

View attachment Brant - DONE from bow quarter.jpg

And the Black Duck now has his keel.

View attachment SJS Black Duck 04 - with keel from bow quarter.jpg

Here is a pair of Shovin' Oars for delivery at the Show - 5/4-inch x 12-foot White Ash. I had hoped to make a few more "on spec" - but time is running out.

View attachment Shovin Oars - Babiches.JPG

Busy day tomorrow. We leave here Friday AM for Hauppauge.

All the best,

SJS

Dax~

Both are finished in Behr latex. The birds are first sealed with Spar Varnish, then primed with flat oils (mostly Rustoleum). I sand with 150 after each step.

All the best,

SJS

I seldom see quality upland bird and waterfowl mounts produced by taxidermists, these are VERY nice and capture the birds quite well!

Paul Dobrosky said:
Hi Steve , Very nice plain bird. Your black should do well. unforshanate i still cant find the brant i recently MADE for your show, some one had to steel it out of my shop, for i never lock it . i will from now on . SORRY I CANT MAKE YOUR SHOW FOR HEALTH REASONS sTAY IN TOUCH PAUL

Paul, that is truly sad! Hope you find it somewhere.

Eric Patterson said:
Jode

What kind of wood is on the top of the box call? Love the turkey by the tracks. Neat touch.

Eric

Thanks. The mahogany call is topped with snakewood. And the box elder call has black mineral poplar as a lid. Some of the blackest over ever had.

My daughter did the artwork on the green painted pot.

Jode,

Very good lookin' turkey calls.

I looked good at the green one, and saw the initials on the lower right.

A H

Made me smile big time.

The best art professor I ever had said - "Always sign your work. If not then your ashamed of it. Don't be."

We still enjoy the Oyster Catcher... signed and dated.[smile]

Best regards
Vince

Back