What's on your WORK BENCH ? - March 2020

Ken Z said:
Rick:

Regarding overturned decoys, here's one made by an Italian carver Giovanni Simonsin circa 1950's, as a two-sided "topsy-turvey" bird.

Ken Zaborski

NOW THAT IS ONE HECK OF A DECOY!

If it rides the waves like I think it does...

Pure Hunter Genius.

Salud.

VP

patrick mccarthy said:
jode hillman said:
I?ve been on a turkey call run.

Mr Hillman
Beautiful calls, the craftsmanship is outstanding.
The 2nd pot call looks like it has snakeskin band around it.

Hi Patrick, thanks. That call is wrapped with beaver tail leather I tanned. A local trapper gave me a tail.

I have done a few others with tanned snakehead fish leather. My favorite and something readily available here in the summertime. I?ll attach a pic of one with the snakehead leather.

View attachment 4F1E427A-86BA-499D-BAF9-13BD90F2FF15.jpeg

Last edited:
Vince Pagliaroli said:
Jode,

Very good lookin' turkey calls.

I looked good at the green one, and saw the initials on the lower right.

A H

Made me smile big time.

The best art professor I ever had said - "Always sign your work. If not then your ashamed of it. Don't be."

We still enjoy the Oyster Catcher... signed and dated.[smile]

Best regards

Vince

Good eye Vince! That oystercatcher is one of the last birds she?s carved. She has done one loon since then. She is concentrating more on her flat work, which is well beyond my ability to critique. Lol.

Patrick,

Now that is ONE FINE looking lamp.

Lots of style and class, like yer decoys.

You do good work, that's for sure.

Best regards
Vince

Good morning, Joe~

Glad you're happy with the results - and thanks for the kind words about my Black Duck.

All the best,

SJS

I took a class this weekend on cottonwood bark carving. I had never carved that before and my carving club had Alan Carmichael come down from AL to teach us. He is fun to learn from and I had a blast learning to carve on cottonwood bark. I'm pretty tickled with my first house....

i-VGsq2Gs-XL.jpg

i-NBCp76G-XL.jpg

i-nJSstkN-XL.jpg

Dani

Vert Nice!! I bet you never thought that this piece was "hiding" in the block of wood in front of you when you started...

Dani,

Is that Eastern Cottonwood, or Swamp Cottonwood "Swamp Poplar"?

Either one, that is a mighty good carving for your first attempt. Congratulations.

It is good that you can do something so creative with a tree that has white cotton seeds, that drive fisherfolks crazy in the Spring.

When ya spend more time taking the "cotton" off yer line, than fishing, it's time to just sit a spell.

VP

Thanks guys!

Rick, I have a very hard time visualizing things in general if there is no pattern to go off of. I am not gifted with looking at something and "seeing" what it could be. So the different blocks of wood I had to choose from I thought, hmmmmm boring...boring...boring...boring....interesting...I learned that the boring ones would have been better to start with because it was a challenge to carve between each of the branches of that bark. But I eventually could see something coming out of it as I started removing wood. It helps to have a good teacher to guide those of us that are visually challenged.

Vince, eastern cottonwood. I've never seen it in bloom but I could see how that would be aggravating while fishing.

Thanks again y'all

Dani

That's a pretty impressive piece.
If you ever get into decorative birds, you're going to do real well carving the habitat around them!
Very nice.
Bob

Last edited:
Back