What's on your WORKBENCH ? -April 2020

Lookcarefully at the bill coloration. The one to the right is not as red. That is the female. I only discovered this after shooting pairs and photographing the bills together. Stef, my son, describes the color as kind of coral. Will try the e mail route again once I get this white face done.Thaks again Rooster.

Here you go - two Drake White-cheeked Pintails From the Bench of George Williams....

BTW: I really like that paint scheme on the bodies - truly simple but effective.

Not sure what's going on in the e-communications - but I got only the one e-mail (from your phone, I think) - even though you mentioned 2 ways of sending.

SJS
[/quote]

P. Revicki said:
I just finished carving three Stratford style decoys. Cork bodies and pine heads. They are all sealed and primed and ready for paint. The high head will be painted as a mallard and the other two as blacks.

Beautiful stool Pete

Pat Gregory said:
Trying my hand at a spoony in flight...

Pat

I think that captures it quite well. Spoonies are one of those animated fliers, as opposed to fighter pilots like GW teal, so I'd imagine it gives some freedom on poses. Neat project.

Eric

Matt Mahoney said:
Not waterfowl related. Well, It could be, if I use it for hunting. Steam bent all of my cedar ribs on the canoe I'm building today. My helper and I wore masks......Coronacanoe.

Matt

Matt

Gorgeous work. I look forward to more updates.

Eric

Matt~

Nothing quite like traditional construction - stirs the soul!

Here's another From the (Southern Hemisphere) Bench of George Williams....a Pato Guapo....

View attachment GW - Pato Guapo.jpg

Not too much time on the bench hereabouts - least not when it's dry outside. In addition to firewood - enough for 2 seasons, I hope - I just peeled these Black Locust posts and put them in the ground with the help of my neighbor's tractor-mounted auger. Some hold signs - I try to make everything "duck-related" - and some will hold Trumper Creeper vines. Another duck-related sign will show visitors the way out on the hay road.

View attachment sm POSTER on Locust post 01.JPG

I've felled lots of trees and chained out a bunch more - mostly invasive shrubs and saplings - of late. But we also just planted 3 big hardwoods - 2 Red Maples and 1 Pin Oak - along the road. Notice how I provide the all-important body English to assist the hard workers....

View attachment New Trees 01.JPG

And I rehabbed my son's Merrimack for up on Champlain. Ben has paddled it all across the US.

View attachment sm Merrimack - portrait PBF.JPG

All the best,

SJS

Steve, that is a white faced whistling duck,, and thankfully, you peeled the bark. Those posts can sprout if the bark is left on! We had locust posts in the basement in Locust Valley, holding everything up!

Besides great posts, they make really super firewood!
Thanks again, senor gallo.[;)]

George~

The house I grew up in - in East Islip, built circa 1919 - had Locust posts holding up just the porches - main foundation was poured concrete.

No Locust in the firewood mix this year - but a bunch will be marked for felling next Winter. We have a bunch of Locust at either end of the land.

All the best,

SJS

Good morning, Joe~

My Dad always carried one - when he was a Park policeman on LI. The dark finish disguised the wood species. Makes sense, though. I know Locust (aka Lignum vitae) was often used for belaying pins on sailing ships. I wonder if the belaying pins were the inspiration/forerunners for the night sticks.

I may make a few Locust cleats later this year - out of thoroughly cured stock I have in the shop.

All the best,

SJS

[size 4] Yeow, Matt. That is a magnificent canoe! You have your work cut out for you.

Bouncing around on any number of carvings & projects this week. Spending a little time each morning painting on this most recent blackduck. Something to be said about working in short bursts.

View attachment IMGP4267 (993 x 660).jpg

Thanks Bob. We steam bent all of the ribs yesterday. A very satisfying endeavor. The process went surprisingly fast. After soaking the pre-made ribs of various lengths for three days, it only took two hours to rib the whole canoe.

Next step, fair the ribs and begin planking.

Matt

Back