What's on your WORKBENCH ? -April 2020

It is described in the NYPD Patrol Guide as "Sound locust". Not sure what exactly that means, personally I prefer cocobolo.

jode hillman said:
Being that it?s turkey season, I have enjoyed making some custom pot calls this year. My daughter and I have teamed up and she has done original artwork on them.

Now that is what I call, TEAMWORK.

Top shelf functional works of art, by father & daughter.

Allison's work is outstanding.

Flat art is a mystery, that few artists can do very well, and have Fun.

Best regards
Vince

Heck, Steve, that one is old enough to go bar hopping without being asked for I d ,.
Forgot to mention that Bomber was involved in some rhinoplasty on her, also.. Amazing what a nose job and new coat of makeup will do for an old gal!

And the wood on the lathe goes round and round, round and round,,,,,,,,,,,,,

Ist up is a slightly spalted blonde wood that I think is Box Elder. The bowl is 3 inches deep and 6 3/4 diameter. A little twig showed up as the bowl took shape.

View attachment BOWL-009-A.jpgView attachment BOWL-009-B.jpgView attachment BOWL-009-C.jpg

The next bowl is a little Walnut number that will be going to my Grandson. Just a simple 2 1/5 deep by 5 inch diameter dish.

View attachment BOWL-010-A.jpgView attachment BOWL-010-B.jpg

View attachment BOWL-010-C.jpg

The weather is starting to warm up so I may not spend a lot of time in the work shop anymore. I did saw up a few logs to be used for future bowl blanks. Really green wet wood so the ends got painted and they will sit in the outside shed for a few years.

A lot of nice work this month by everyone. Stay safe as you work.

Last edited:
Eric Patterson said:
Jode

I'm kind of partial to the lab with the antler. That's a really neat father daughter project.

Eric

Thanks Vince, thanks Eric.

I am quite partial to the Labrador myself.

She gets better with every one

Good morning, Zane~

Great work on that Scooter Hook - and your Broadie-beak rig, too.

A couple of thoughts on a handle to go with that Scooter Hook. I bought a nice factory-made Ash one a few years back - maybe from a place in PA. Not sure I'll ever use it - as I subsequently was gifted 2 antiques that are perfectly serviceable.

And, since I've been fooling around with batches of Shovin' Oars in recent years, I have some "scrap" that is nice long lumber for handles of all kinds. So, I set it aside "just in case".

If you're interested in either, perhaps we can get together.

All the best,

SJS

Steve,
Thanks for the generous offer. I may take you up on it. My buddy James who you met a Tuckerton said he may have what I need. Will let you know. Thanks again.

Zane

I have been very busy. Essential at work, with maybe 15% on site, means I am working extra hours to keep things moving on schedules. At home I have been working a lot of different decoy projects. Casting anchors, making silicone molds/mother molds, and assembling and painting decoys.

Here are some Ruddies I finished colors on yesterday. After a good cure, they still will get clear coat, eye gloss, and bill satin applied.

View attachment 94689479_10223914786083810_1970136154766311424_n.jpg

View attachment 95120103_10223914785843804_581831029086486528_n.jpg

Back