Any decoy carvers interested in a build and swap?

I'm in. Most likely a cork gunner. Diver or puddle, no diff for me. I do plan on some canvas geese and a couple of swans this summer however.
Ransod spesies or designated, either way. And I hope our guys across the pond will join in. They do some great birds.

I would be up for it as long as it stays fun, which is ultimately what is all about. I agree with keeping it to gunning decoys but not sure about keeping it limited to one species. The reason being there are people from different areas, if the decoys were all say canvasbacks...wouldnt do much for me I have only seen a handful in my 10 years of hunting, dont get me wrong I would still do the exchange but it would end up a shelf decoy. I would rather do something someone can use and then see pics of it actually hunting. Just an idea but you could get the exchanges picked and let them decide between them what species to make. As far as materials...doesnt matter to me...just keep it so a guy is doing something he is used it. Doesnt matter to me what I get traded back as long as the person does the best of his ability. Im a new carver all I can promise is my best.

As of right now I have:

Jonathan Creason
Joe Brewer
Dave Church
Jay H
John Lawrence
Paul Scott
J Howland
Kevin Folkman
Tom Modin
David Robinson
Stefan Zelei
Kevin Weir
Dan VanDeWoestyne
Jeff Galat
Brandon Yuchasz
Darin Clark
Geoff Pike
Andrew Holley

I'll leave sign up open until Wed. March 3 at 5:00 pm. If anyone else would like to get in be sure to post up. After that time the names will be drawn for the swap. If any moderators are reading this, would you like to take control of the drawing? I would like to keep it as random as possible, and don't want to give the appearance of stacking the deck.

Since several people have expressed interest in doing different species we'll just say once you find out who your decoy will be going to it is up to you to get in touch with them and make sure it will fit their needs. If there are any problems we can rearrange later.

The deadline to have your decoy out the door will be August 1, 2010. That should give everyone plenty of time to come up something.

Remember, this is just as much about the process as the outcome. Please post regular updates of the decoy taking shape.

Last edited:
I will do a cork or a cedar gunner. I will leave the material and species up to the person that I get pulled for. dc

I would have loved to have joined in on this but Im sorry to say that Im going to have to decline because Im already doing a decoy swop with Chuc J and when that is finished I have got a canada Goose to finish off for Megs ashes plus finishing my workshop so it would,nt be fair to take something on I could,nt promise.
Take care and God Bless
Eddie.
Its all about Building that Bond.

I'm a cork carver until I run out (only 3 dekes left) and then I'm switching to cedar (with Rutgers' help and all the rest:). I'm going to do my best and have fun with it. I'm best at carving divers and welcome the challenge - great idea!

Ok, I'm in. I carve mostly cork gunners, but have done some cedar. I haven't carved a lot of different species, but willing to try anything. Just let me know what to carve and I'll get going. Thanks, great idea
Darin

jonathan if you want I can have my two little girls draw names out of a hat tommorow evening. It will be legit that way and keep them from beating on each other or running around screaming for at least two minutes. :)

That would be great, Tom. Thanks for taking that on. What I am thinking is to go down the list and then draw a name to correspond with whoever you're at on the list. That will be who the decoy is sent to. That way who you get a decoy from may not be the person you send one to. Really mix them up and send them all over the place. Just an idea, though, however you and your girls work it is fine with me.

that is what I was hoping to do. with both of them drawing it will be very random. They may both draw at once and then run around to see who gets to me first. One may draw and the other try to get it from them, by all means it will be a legit drawing.

Sounds perfect, Tom. Thanks again for taking this on.

Time's running out for any of you that might be on the fence. We've got a good group of carvers signed up. I'm really looking forward to seeing what everyone comes up with.

Jonathan Creason ...............send to david robinson
Joe Brewer ...............send to Jay H
Dave Church .............send to Geoff Pike
Jay H .............send to J Howland
John Lawrence ................send to Jeff Galat
Paul Scott ................send to Stefan Zelei
J Howland ...............send to Don VanDeWoestyne
Kevin Folkman ................send to Paul Scott
Tom Modin ..................send to Joe Brewer
David Robinson .............. send to Jonathan Creason
Stefan Zelei .................send to John Lawrence
Kevin Weir ..............send to Tom Modin
Dan VanDeWoestyne .................send to Dave Church
Jeff Galat ................. send to kevin Weir
Brandon Yuchasz ......................send to Kevin Folkman
Darin Clark ............ send to Andrew Holley
Geoff Pike ............send to Darin Clark
Andrew Holley ..................send to Brandon Yuchasz

only one of the girls drew the names she had fun. I was expecting her to match name and number at least once but it did not happen.

Last edited:
Hot damn Tom, nice draw! Be sure to thank your little one for doing all the hard work, hahaha. Jon, this is going to be fun!

Thanks again for doing that Tom. Alright everybody, you know your assignment. Get in touch with the person you've been assigned and work out the details.

Oh yeah, I double checked the calendar and Aug. 1 is a Sunday, so we'll say your decoy must be in the mail by 5:00 on Aug. 2, 2010.

Back