Any decoy carvers interested in a build and swap?

Jim, I'm sorry, I could have sworn I put your name on the list but I guess I missed it. Since David and I are swapping with each other perhaps we can work you in there.

Most excellent! I'm getting a Swedish Duck. There won't be too many guys around here with one of those!

Jeff Galat---I'll give you a choice, You can have the aforementioned cork blackduck or a basswood green wing teal either drake or hen.

Last edited:
Jonathen,
I've been away for a few days but if you need someone else to join in to make up for an odd man out then send me a pm. Dave knows how to get a hold of me as well.

Rich

John i appreciate the option, however, i would be more comfortable if you decided. i would be thrilled with any of your offers.

Anybody started working on their decoy? I know many of you are making the finishing touches on your Westlake birds, but how about the rest? I'm sketching a canvasback pattern right now. Right now the tale of the tape has it at 16" long and 5" tall, but I'm still tinkering. Haven't done the top view yet, but the plan is to make it like the old Pontiac commercials, "wider is better".

I started to draw a plan today for a tuffed duck, thats what stefen in sweden asked for. Keith is educating me in the different schools of decoy carving.. Sorry should have read Kevin is educating me......I was ready keiths book at the time

All the best Paul Scott, aka Scotty.

Last edited:
I painted a bunch today on my master bathroom redo. Going to start on the laundry room this week too. Will be finishing up some gadwall patterns then working on a bluebill pattern to carve for this trade

I started to draw a plan today for a tuffed duck, thats what stefen in sweden asked for. Keith is educating me in the different schools of decoy carving..

All the best Paul Scott, aka Scotty.

Ringbill with a Mohawk! Or is it a mullet?

Last edited:
Jeff,
Kevin is what my friends call me.
We are supposed to have mallards up the wazzuu here, but our "migration hasn't happened" for a couple of seasons. Lots of divers this year. I took more divers than mallards. A teal or mallard would be great as would a goldeneye or redhead. Not picky at all. Looking forward to this swap.

The more I looked at the pattern I had drawn the more I didn't like it for this decoy. I wanted to do something more stylized and curvy. Got another one on the drawing board now that I'm liking a lot better. I need to look through the wood pile and see if I've got anything left that will work. If not I may have to make a trip to HD to pick up some of that tooba wood.

to the fellas that are going to be getting my birds I am working on the practice bird off of the pattern I wanted to use in this swap. Got the head eyeballed tonight will get body cut out and worked on next week. If it flows as nice as I would like I'll start carving on the trade birds in the next couple weeks.

Tom,

I'm right there with ya. I've got an awesome pattern drawn out thanks to Rutgers. It's a Lee Harker canvasback head with a Chuck Huff body. It's gonna be biggggggg. Almost 8" wide:O I'm working out the details of the head and I'll get to the body soon - its all Michigan white cedar from Drumond Island...thanks Paul. Jon, you're getting a Michigan decoy, that's for sure!

Good to see I am not the only one who ran a prototype before making the swap bird. Mine was not good and I abandoned the pattern. Now I have went to a favorite pattern of mine. I am getting close to sealing and painting it now. All locally milled northern white cedar and I will keel it with some locally milled white ash. Figured since its going to the east coast it should be as Michigan as it can get down to a flat bottom and keel!

Brandon, I can't wait! I'm sure that it will be great!

I send my swap mallard off to Scotty in the UK on Friday. It should be there this week sometime.........................Good luck to all involved.....................Kevin

Back