Any decoy carvers interested in a build and swap?

cut out and carved the head last week, got the body worked out this week. I like the pattern I need to raise the neck shelf about 3/8ths of an inch.

P1020624.jpg

Looking forward to seeing the final product, Tom.

I started carving the head on mine today. Got the profile cut, and I couldn't stand it. So I went back to the drawing board again.

This time I went for something more classic. I might have to try to knock out a diver rig for myself from this pattern.

Finally found a source of juniper down in Manteo. I'm heading down there on the 15th for a vacation and plan to stop and pick some up. Now all I need is some cash (nobody needs a redhead, do they?).

finished up my swap bird for Kevin Weir. i like the pose so i made for myself. Kevin yours is on the right, the better one in my opinion. pm me your address when you get a chance.
Picture001-2.jpg

Picture003.jpg

Very nice whistlers, Jeff.

That can looks awesome, David. I can't wait to see that thing float.

I just picked up some juniper today, so I'm hoping to get started on yours this week.

Jon,

I'm kicking myself for not posting more pictures of your can decoy. I'm epoxying the decoy together as we speak. Pics will be coming along soon. I just got side-track with the decoy float at my house this weekend. I had to rig 6 dekes so I had something to float:) Keep up the good work! Hopefully we'll be shooting cans this fall.

David, do you have a strong preferance as to keel or not? I usually just do pad weights, but I've got some ipe that would make a nice keel of you'd rather have one.

Jon,

A pad weight or keel is cool with me. You choose.

I'm doing a final sanding on your deke tonight so I can finally seal and paint it before the end of July:) I'm just having too much fun with the family and I haven't had much time for carving but it will get done.

I understand, David. Spend as much time with your family as you can, and finish the decoy when you get time.

I've got a little bit of detail work, and then a couple of glazes to put on yours and it'll be ready to go. Hope to get some pics up soon.

I shipped both my birds in the last month or so and got a beauty back from Jim Williams. I have one more to get here and one from another site. Everyday is like Christmas morning when you are waiting for a bird in the mail.

Here is the photo Jim's beauty of a bill in the front and a couple of birds of my own that are awaiting keels

P1020779.jpg

Guys,

Just make it very clear, Jeff is a great carver. The GE he sent is fantastic.
I haven't been on site much this summer due to some major events around the house, but am getting back to it now. Tom's teal should be going out to him in a week or so.

Jeff, hard to wait for Nov. to get here so I can see your bird out on the river bringing in the GE's. Thanks

Back