April "What's on your Workbench?"

Pat -
Awesome whistlers... I only have one to show yet, a Blackduck with a stretched out body... not so realistic but he floats awesome!

2011-04-03_18-02-56_517.jpg

Some birds ive been working on within the last month.All hollow cedar,glass eyes,Jansen acrylics.The pintail is my first.I made the sprig out of Ash,so we'll see how that goes.

CIMG4433.jpg

CIMG4437.jpg

CIMG4440.jpg

CIMG4431.jpg

CIMG4430.jpg

CIMG4434.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Steve,

I keep coming back to this thread to look at your turkey decoy. I think that you've really created something special. I just showed it to Mama Volleyduck and she agrees with me.

The look in the eyes is particularly catching. I would call it an evil witchyness.

Well done.

Finally got back down to the dungeon after an absence of six weeks--Steps went well, and it was good just to see and smell the shop for a bit--Therapist says i can do the trip once a day-exercising the hip!!

Guys - Thanks for the kind words on the ringneck duck. Honestly, it was a whim. It is on it's way as a donation to the Lockport Ducks Unlimited Banquet in Lockport, Illinois. This was where my great grandpa lived. I liked it well enough I am going to do 6 of them for my duck club rig. I've decided to slowly convert my entire duck club rig to vintage style decoys patterned after the old time carvers of our region. Last year I added 8 GWT patterned after Virgil Lashbrook's 1931 teal rig. This year, I'll use grandpa's bluebill pattern to make 6 blackjacks. Each year I'll add more vintage carver patterns. I plan to add decoys patterned after John Barnhart, Perry Wilcoxen, Charlie Perdew and others. Hopefully, we'll do some vintage hunts and get some black and white photos. Here are a couple of grandpa's bluebill decoys...
View attachment Bartobb.JPG
View attachment PICT0238.JPG
And, here is a pic of him in front of his shop. There is a bluebill in the group of decoys in front of him...
View attachment skippy5.jpg

Last edited:
All hollow cedar,Painted with jansen acrylics.The goldeneye is a pattern from Keith Muellers new book,with Geoff Vine inspired paint,and Rick Brown inspried bill detail.

CIMG4446.jpg

CIMG4442.jpg

CIMG4443.jpg

CIMG4451.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Roy

Since you mentioned my name I have an observation for you on your Whistler decoy. If you'd like my input, send me a PM.

Back