April "What's on your Workbench?"

Great stuff as usual. Got back into the groove after adjusting to a new job that requires more days at work. crappie are not biting on the local lake yet so had a little time to waste.lol

a set of wigeon in their underclothes.
P1030405.jpg

a freehand hoodie I drew up while setting in a mandatory class at work. carved easily and shaped up nice. I was more than happy with the outcome of not using any measurements or dimensions and just drawing what I liked and though looked good. have two more heads of this pattern rough carved and a couple pieces of bass reserved to carve them out of.

P1030407.jpg

My first frond of this year... I hope to have a 7 bird "walk-in" rig of 5 Mallards and 2 Blacks + 2 Woodies for the early part of the season. This is only the 6th bird I have carved in 10 months (since my son was born) and man is it nice to get back in the shop. Critiques are encouraged!

2011-04-27_20-54-20_370.jpg

Hank

Here's a little something to help you think about your shape. You are headed in the right direction. Good to see folks working on fronds...

11-GW01-3.jpg

Thanks Geoff!!! Mine's is no where near done but I sure appreciate the guidance. I was just looking at pics from the Cali open not 2 minutes ago.

With the arrival of spring I always have a bunch of songbirds that nest around the house and surrounding woodlot. They are cool to watch and even cooler to listen too. This gets me in the mood to carve one or two which I do every spring. This year I made my likeness of the chickadee's that are nesting in the Honey-suckle vine.

Cool Jode ! I'm stopping by to drop a book for Rutgers today[font=Verdana,Arial,Helvetica]. Get the liquor out of the wood pile.
[/font]

Cool Jode ! I'm stopping by to drop a book for Rutgers today[font=Verdana,Arial,Helvetica]. Get the liquor out of the wood pile.
[/font]

LOL.........I'll be here, out in the barn working with Ethan, after all it is take your kid to work day...........

I'm pretty much just working on Duckers right now. Post some Pics asap. Got a 10' P.A. Keonoeke from MN 50's, a Thompson 14' from WI, and a MN-McGregor Enterprises 10' DP going. All restoration Boats, and lots of work. Might have to start burning Decoys to stay warm here in MN. Been a junk-Spring so far in regard to Weather...

Guys - The level of talent and the different styles and materials in this thread is a great education for those of us who do not carve. From shapes to poses to body/wing detail..........I can't get over how pleasing these are to see and how different they are. I won't skip this thread just because I do not carve.........it's a wealth of info and entertainment. Neat too about the different traditions and styles that some of you are maintaining from carvers of earlier times. Great stuff !
sarge

Back