April "What's on your Workbench?"

Here is a black duck hen I finished today destined for the CT Waterfowlers Association banquet on Sunday.

DSCN0999.jpg

Mr Furia ,

I m born in feathers and furs . My father as a taxidermy hobby for over 40y. In 2007, on a big layout on my regular job, me and my wife decided to keep the taxidermy part ( my after ask me that for over 10years). I m not interesting to go outside for working ...

So , my wife maked the durty job, remouve skin. .. and me i mounted animals .

But in 2007, i dont lost my job, i' m a electronician , and the second in expericence in my job . Now 3 job : electro + taxidermy + carver .. that the reson i dont have a lot of time ...

Stef

not just for april, but all of my progress since feb 1st
nice day yesterday here so I took um all outside and aired out all of my work,
I have 17 eiders finished
3 black scotors
1 surf scotor finished and four more in need of final sanding and paint
4 blackducks, three high head and one swimmer in need of finishing
1 bufflehead from a new template ready for paint
1 broadbill
2 oldsquaw hens ready
1 oldsquaw hen needs paint
and 1 half size swan ready for paint

all of the decoys are cedar or pine bodies, basswood heads,
all are finished with oils, I put my new to me lathe to work in Feb after months of tinkering with it. has been saving a ton of time on my body work.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

I finished sanding the hen shoveler and the hen gadwall earlier this week and then sealed them in preparation for paint.

I started adding a step by step description of the process I'm using to paint these puddler hens on the blog attached to my web page. You can follow along over the next couple of weeks if you would like.

View attachment P4100003.jpg

View attachment P4100006.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I've been doing alot of carving lately but decided to take some time and do a little painting for myself. (Not that I consider myself a painter by any stretch of the imagination!)

Both are Oils on Linen.
The first is a view from the road to my favorite duck hunting marsh. I call it, " Along The Road To Turkey Point." 6"X12"

The second is my impression of something I saw while deer hunting a few years back. I like the colors in this one.
"Big Swamp Roost" 6"X12"

I always like checking this thread out. Great stuff agan this month.

Jode, I like the colors in the second one also. It's calming and eerie at the same time.

Tim

Back