BBSB REBUILD dodger is all done

Chris, here is what I did.... using push pins I installed my canvas as you have. Then I marked the first snap in the front center.... then measured equi-distant around the sides and marked the location with chaulk. I then put a finish nail in a vice grip and got my propane torch. Heat the nail to red hot and us it to mark each snap location. The hot nail will melt through the canvas and webbing (I had Mom sew webbing into the seams where the snaps would be for more strength). It also marks the coaming on the right spot for each snap half. you got SS snaps right? Takes a special anvil to set them if you did get SS..... Make sure you get it taut and where you want it with the push pins.

Dave

hello nice job on your boat ,one quick question where do you get plans for building the spray shield or dodger ,like what are the meaurments of this id like to make one again nice job .happy hunting rick.

I didn't have any measurements or plans to go off of. I saw what others had done like Dave Diefenderfer and C Taylor. From the pictures they posted I kinda got my own idea and when with it. For starters I put an aztek plastic dodger coaming screwed to the deck. So the 8ft piece bent in a U shape on my deck was my starting point. I ordered 3/4 inch aluminum conduit. The first hoop up from the deck was 8ft bent close to the same shape as the coaming and the 2nd hoop was 6ft bent in a U shape aswell. After the frame was built and in the place where I wanted it. I just had to measure, cut, and sew the canvas pieces together to cover the frame. Any other questions or if I can help let me know.

Chris!

Man is that sneakbox SaaaaWEET! Wow, good job buddy! Makes me think mine might be oh, a wee bit easier.. In a way.. Honestly that thing makes me jealous, I can't wait to build one of my own someday!

All the best!

Mikey

From the photos it looked like you took your time and the restoration well.
A boat to be proud of.
Tell us more about the box, how old, who built it ect.
Also the cockpit seems large. How big is it

It was built in the early 50's its has steam bent oak frames that were sistered at somepoint. Not sure on who the builder is. Ith cockpit is very large it is 71 inches long. That was one reason I liked the boat so much. It was a fun project I finished up last summer and she was great to hunt from last season. Hope this season is better and we get some cold weather and some birds moving like they should.

Back