It's March What's on your workbench?

Here are a few "wildfowl" species I am currently working on, and one I just finished and mailed to a collector.

Decorative gunning pair of old squaw.....primed

View attachment Resized_a1.jpg

pre-painted Grisaille....ready to begin painting.

View attachment Resized_a2.jpg

The bottom plate insert wood is tropical African walnut, and the keels are carved from African padauk......

View attachment Resized_a3.jpg

Crowell influenced woodcock, just finished and shipped......View attachment Resized_a4.jpg

Another red grouse decoy ready for paint.....

View attachment Resized_a5.jpg

Dang it...I should have posted this sooner. You're a tough act to follow Keith. Well, they aren't decoys or boats, but it is what is on my workbench anyways. Barrels for duck, goose and predator calls. They actually migrated from my shop to my kitchen table last night, much to my wife's dismay. Kind of a bad picture, but what the heck. I'll post up a better picture when they are finished.

IMG_4234.jpg

Keith,
As long as I have known you, and as much of your work as I have seen, you continue to amaze me and inspire me. I am glad you are sharing your talent with others here.Thanks...

Chris, I like the little buffie, hollow? Do you think that knot will cause you problems down the road?

Thank you and yes, it is hollow. As for the knot it is solid and sealed Inside and Out with Marine Epoxy so I don't foresee any problems, but time will tell.

Thanks Dave, Joe, Keith , Eric and Charlie.

This is a neat thread. I love seeing what everyone has going on.

The encouragement sure helps to keep the fire going during the long spells of solitude............

Keith, Being that it seems you are an aficianado of all things rain forest related, any interesting images of Coffee being grown or processed? Or does this not occur in the area's you frequent?
( This subject, or the fruits thereof are near and dear to me, just not before I start painting. LOL! )

Last edited:
Somehow I think that this will be a regular monthly thread from now on. What I like the best is the variety of the work being shown. Two days and look how many contributions! Let's keep it going.

Dave Connolly, I've told you before and will say it again...............................I just love your decoys! Please post pics of that blackie when done......................Kevin

Tony, I really dig that drake redhead!! Is the body on that hen whistler carved from jelutong? If so how do you like carving with it?

Joe,

Thanks for the compliment! Actually for the hen, it is balsa for the body and tupelo for the head.

I sure do enjoy seeing all the different styles and variations in everybody's decoys!

Let's keep it going!!

Tony, I really dig that drake redhead!! Is the body on that hen whistler carved from jelutong? If so how do you like carving with it?

I carved a ringneck a couple years ago out of jelutong and it is a very nice wood to work with. Cuts and sands easily. As a word of caution if you do decide to try it, they claim a lot of people are prone to allergic reactions when carving it. I didn't have a problem, but just be aware of the possibility.

Inspired by MlBobs pickleweed post, I had to make one today. So I did........
ScoterPickleweed.jpg

I believe it may be the worlds first ever pickleweed sea duck haha....

Wow, this thread took off! Awesome stuff...

Over the last couple of months I carved 4 drake golden eyes so now it's time for some hens. The darker one is sealed and ready for paint. The lighter one is waiting for the paint on the back of the eyes to dry (thanks Scott O.) and then she's off to seal and paint. Not shown is the bufflehead block that I just glued up with a pine tail board. That head will be made out of tupelo - a new wood for me to try. The GE's are cork gunners with basswood and cedar heads. It's been a lot of fun just trying to carve different woods. Keep up the good work guys!

View attachment P3020005.JPG

Chris, I have a few heads cut out of some jelutong I picked up last year. Man does that stuff sand up real nice. But I still like basswood and tupelo better.

Back