It's March What's on your workbench?

Chris, I have a few heads cut out of some jelutong I picked up last year. Man does that stuff sand up real nice. But I still like basswood and tupelo better.

I think I prefered the jelutong to basswood, but basswood is cheap and easy to get around here so I stick with it for heads. I still haven't tried tupelo, was gonna buy some the other day but the company was out of stock.

Jode,

Like you, coffee is a main staple in my studio.....although decaf, the local starbucks (20 min's away) takes good care of me.

The second most visited place we go to in Costa Rica is to the many coffee plantations. We know where they all are, so on our "travel betweens" we stop at everyone of them! You just can't imagine the aroma when you walk into the little coffee plantation store and you see the fresh beans being roasted the old fashioned way in iron pots rotating over a wood fire.......it is heaven in a small wooden building!! Here is one of the plantations we stop at its called "cafe tres generacionas" or "three generations" in the mountains of Heredia.

View attachment Resized_ac1.jpg

View attachment Resized_ac2.jpg

The banana plants are grown for two reasons....first for shade (coffee needs shade) and to replenish the soil with nutrients.

Here are the glorious beans from heaven (not ripe).....

View attachment Resized_ac4.jpg

View attachment Resized_ac5.jpg

Starting to ripen....

View attachment Resized_ac6.jpg

I'll see if I can find the images of the iron pots with the roasting beans......

[inline Resized_c2.jpg]

Last edited:
Great pictures. Very beautiful place. Thank you. I can only imagine the splendid aroma's associated with the roasting.
My wife has family in Coasta Rica and we have always wanted to visit. Maybe we'll make it one of these days.

Last edited:
Dave Connolly, I've told you before and will say it again...............................I just love your decoys! Please post pics of that blackie when done......................Kevin

Kevin - thank you very much!

I've been visiting this site for a few years now and have only posted a few times. I got inspired by all the great work on this thread. Man, you guys are talented. With the help of my good friend Tom Newell I have really started to get into this decoy carving thing. I'm working on a dozen mallards, a few Brant and a Canada Goose, all gunners, all in various stages of "incompleteness".
Red Cedar bodies and Basswood heads- will be painted with oils.

Not that you can tell by the carving but, all the patterns came from Keith's new book- talk about inspiration. Thanks to Keith and Tom what I thought would be a harmless hobby has turned into a full blown addiction.

DSC06028-1.jpg

Great decoys Tom, I can not wait to see them painted. Its fun to finally have some carving friends in the area.You and Ron and Eric, and Duke will keep me on my toes. As you know you and anyone else is welcome to come over anytime.

Just a note you to guys, Tom Kelly is a business owner.....Cedar Creek Lumber. Yep... Specializing in Old Growth Cedar. Those decoy you see pictures are carved from Cedar like I have never seen before. Its like pencils.

Hey Robinson, that hen in the vice is sweet! The only problem is....if she swims with mine next year she might get called fat;-)

Here's a few in my really messy shop.

The big ones are hollow and 19" long, the squaw tail is a piece of whitetail antler. The stack of bodies will eventually be goldeneye.

-D

IMG_2014.jpg

I think this one is a little blurry because subconsciously I know I need to finish the swimmer first;-)
Ontheworkbench003-1.jpg

This has been sitting there waiting to be sanded and painted for about a month now, this thread may have given me the kick in the pants needed to get it done.
Ontheworkbench002.jpg

For all the Rutgers guys I think I'll see ya next week.

Last edited:
At the moment there is a load of crap on my work bench until I finish my workshop then I will post pictures of a Euro widgeon Im doing for Chuck J, in the mean time Im keeping my eyes on this thread as Im seeing a lot of nice decoys, well done Guys.
take care and God Bless
Eddie.
Its all about Building that Bond

Back