It's March What's on your workbench?

Here is my hen old squaw

IMG_1565.jpg

Kirby, looks good man. I cant wait to see that redhead you posted earlier with some paint on it. How does that balsa hold up under gunning conditions? I am sure it makes for a light decoy!

Joe,

Sorry about the confusion, but that's my brother doing the old squaw. His name is Kirby on here, and I am Tony Kirby. As far as the redhead, I got a little frustrated with it (as you can see from all the tuff carve on it ) and shelved it for a while. I will post it once it gets done.

As far as your question on the balsa, don't know, never used it hunting. I hope to this up coming season.

Mike,

Those cans are awesome! What did you do with the bills? I can't wait to see the hen painted... your hens are incredible in particular! I'm excited to see how they come out.

Spencer

mr. tony kirby if i am wrong please feel free to criticize me and call me names but shouldn't that red head drake have yellow eyes? maybe its just the lighting of the photo but they look awful redish maybe even orange. just wondering.

eddie

Hey Ed, why would I call you names or critisize you??? After you said that, I went back and looked at the photo and yes they do look red in that picture. They are not that color.

Now if your asking are they supposed to be yellow like a goldeneye drake then no. From what i've seen in hand they are more like a blended yellow/orange which my eyes are. A little more orangy yellow then say the straw color of a ringneck drake.

Just one more note. Just like a human eye, they do vary in shade and color.

Hope this clears it up for you, Tony

Beautiful work guys, love all of it.

I'm taking a little hiatus to work on something for myself.
I hope to have this hen ready for our Gobbler season at the end of April.

I don't think my dog was to happy being used a scale model! LOL!

Last edited:
That Turkey will look great in oils!.... makes me want to draw a pattern and do one also. Great job, thanks for the post and inspiration....

Jode, I may just need to come see that turkey in person! Looks great!!!.........................The poor pup is just reflecting on the lousy duck season I'm sure....................By the way the band saw arrives today, I'm psyched!.........................Kevin

Thanks Tom
John Yes, The Tukey is hollow.
The body is made of Empress Paulownia ( or Cottonwood to the Va. guys) with a cedar head.
It weighs in at a tad over 5pds. It will be painted with oils.

Thanks Kev, That's great about the saw, if you run in to any problems give me a ring. Jode

Last edited:
Tom,
I never saw a winter phase Ruddy before last weekend. At least that is what I thought they were. I am still very confused on exactly what I saw, but when I tried to bounce it off all the ID books, the only thing I saw with a white face and black head was winter phase ruddys. In any case, those are beautiful.

Chuck those keels remind me of the movie "Crocodile Dundee" when he pulls out his large knife. "now this is a keel" lol

Back