July "What's on your Workbench?"

finished up today spent a little extra to dress up the box since it is a commision I figured I should make it look nice. wish I had the time to tarnish the brass but time will do that. All I hope is to get to gun over them some time. Already crunching the brain to improve the decoys and box.

P1030445.jpg

P1030446.jpg

P1030447.jpg

Steve I am a carver that is why,lol. Too much work involved dove tailing esp. for me since I have never done it.

They look good Tom. I'm sure he will be thrilled to get them.
Be careful, doves can be a little addictive.

Tim

Steve I am a carver that is why,lol. Too much work involved dove tailing esp. for me since I have never done it.

If you can carve you can make dovetails. All you need is a dovetail saw and chisel. Lots of good instruction on the web. With a box that size you would only need one tail per corner. That box looks great as it is but dovetails would bring it up another level IMO.

Pat, love those long neck pins.

Here's a pair of long body Sprig gunners. For a friend from the site's fall gunning rig.

Looks like the Primaries are slightly raised perhaps, but sturdy for sure.

I like em a lot. Awesome Pintails!!!

Man I gotta put in a pic soon. Got some Mottled Ducks going...

Thanks Mike, and Derek, You guys are both right, primaries aren't raised, just a slight relief cut to give some dimension and little style.

The bodies remind me of a Mason-esqe shape.

Last edited:
not sure of which set of pintails I like best from the last two photos. EXCELLENT!!!

Yep, it would be hard to choose between them. It's nice to see two very different styles done so well.

Tim

Dave - Thanks for the kind words on the pheasant. I'll post up a picture when it's painted.

Guys - Thank you for the nice comments on the high neck sprigs. These were additions to my existing sprigs in my rig from last season. Hollow white cedar with white pine heads. 3-4 times last season, we had nice groups of sprigs specifically lock into these blocks. In one hunt, we were ready to pull up on some GWT middling in our blocks. My buddy said, "Wait! Sprigs!" Looking to the left, there was a group of 15 sprigs locked into my sprig blocks. What a sight! The necks may seem a little high in hand, but, on the water, they're perfect. Can't wait to gun them again this year.

32 days to early goose season here in Central Illinois, 40 to early teal season... Can't wait...

Back