June - What's on your Workbench?

Completed carving a dozen scaup decoys migrating to New Jersey...

If it's a random migration I'll PM my address........ nice birds..... I would hate to be hunting down wind of who ever gets them.

Started on some redheads with a hen fully stamped. All white cedar bodies and either white pine or basswood heads...

Bob, Your mallard looks great!

Dennis, nice touch to the hen house.

Pat, nice rig. It will be right at home here in NJ.

"Tranquil Evening" 18"X24" Oil on board. American style folk painting. A wedding present, I finished last week.

Jode,

We're going to have to start calling you "Grandpa Hillman." A very cool piece of flat-work!
Final picture of what my recent time in the studio has led to: "a seemingly absurd proposition that when investigated may prove to be true" ....in other words a paradox---- Get it? - "Pair-o-ducks" ;-) ;-)

View attachment z33.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks guys. The one on the shelf is a primed e-allen waiting for my little one to paint it. The hen ringer is in the process of being hallowed, it should be pretty light when it's done. The shorebird has been sitting like that for a couple of years. Lastly there is a a canvasback that I'm working on for a swap.

Last edited:
I've got a bunch of ducks and shorebirds in process - but had to take time out for these birthday gifts - a pair of Goosanders:
STS%20Merg%20Pair%20-%20BEST_zpswboqmbqu.jpg

I'm not truly happy with the pattern on the drake's back - and they both need longer, more pointed tails. Fun to do, though......

IMG_2865_zpslusqx0ho.jpg

They are Basswood finished with acrylics.

All the best,

SJS

Here are a few repairs I've tended to among all the other projects - broken heads and bills on some LI stool.

This is the first of 3 Brant by Lem Ackerly. Not sure of his town but he was from the south shore. All of these Brant had so-called "root heads" - usually from Pitch Pine knots where branches left the trunk (and not from actual roots). My goal was to make each repair as invisible as I could.

This head had broken off - vertically - behind the "eye".

Ackerly%20Brant%201%20-%20B_zpsapgwn7fa.jpg

Here is a close-up:

Ackerly%20Brant%201%20-%20closeup_zpsuhzoz6ab.jpg

Here is a close-up of Brant #2. I had to replace the entire bill.

Ackerly%20Brant%202%20-%20closeup_zps9vpv5by3.jpg

Here is Brant # 3 - another "total bill replacement". Note the big plug in the body. A number of these Brant were repaired this way by some earlier craftsman.

Ackerly%20Brant%203%20-%20port_zps6mgfgqdt.jpg

This little Whistler - maker unknown - had a crack through the neck - right where the head joins the neck. That raised edge on the bill is on both sides and appears to be original. Interesting tail carving.

Verbeek%20Whistler%20stbd_zps9pzxdjba.jpg

This flock migrates back to Great South Bay tomorrow.

SJS

Really like those Goosanders, Steve, that hen looks like she wouldn't be afraid to come peck on me despite her small size.

Steve.......if the head on that first Brant was on the body of the second Brant I'd have to come to your shop in the dead of the night and abcond with it....and then I'd need a cigarette and a nap after cuddling with it.......what great heads on those birds, and bodies......and AS ALWAYS you did them proud with you repairs.......

Jeff....NICEEEEEEEEE...I see things I'd do differently on the tones and the feathers on your Curlew but I'll just keep my mouth shut on those and say that or a first Curlew and only your second shorebird that's a most excellent rendition....the Fulvous is a dandy as well......

Steve

Back