may workbench

Carl, love the grouse. For a guy that had a difficult time with the paint, it turned out great. Tell your warden buddy, he's got to come out from behind the desk to catch the bad guys. My son misses him on the show.

Thanks John!!
I made Flamme a Loon but it hasn't left the house. I'll have to make him something else for his office. I miss having him in the field He's a great Warden. The Grouse is for another Warden who's actually out catching bad guys!!

Lots of Great work again this month Thanks to everyone for sharing!!
Most of my month has been tied up remodeling my bathroom but I'll be back at it next month.

a few more i have been working on this month. this is a different hen than before. still need to finish and put keels on them. then start painting on my mallards and wigions

Jeff.....GREAT first effort....need a white belly and undertail coverts in ether plumage , (winter or breeding), and the chest neck and head should be "same as, or close to same as", the back....little things.....I like the shape and the bill...and YOU NAILED the leg.....
NICELY DONE....

Steve

This bird has been on my bench for a little bit with 3 others waiting for me to finish them....i decided to see if i could do one with an airburush.....i did it and learned a few things also....best part is this i was able to capture the style i have been striving for....

Good morning~

Nothing completely finished - and starting birds every day in prep for my mid-July Open Studio. ( http://www.studiotour.org/steve-sanford/ )

This Whimbrel is done but for its base - which is in process.

2%20Whimbrel%20-%20SMALL_zpsserei2qh.jpg

This Wigeon needs just a little more paint. I tried some new approaches to the paint on this bird:

3%20Wigeon%20SMALL_zpsdf4nrmib.jpg

I was inspired to do this Solitary Sandpiper on recent bird walks I've been leading locally. I have seen the species here at the farm but a friend has them more regularly. I have started 2 of them.

1%20Solitary%20SP%20-SMALL_zps9063jomu.jpg

All the best,

SJS

Nice work steve...love that wigeon.

I'll have to try a shorebird soon, I just picked up and antique pitchfork at a consignment shop to use as a bill.

Steve-

Beautiful birds. The Wigeon is exceptional. I haven't check your site but by any chance have you done, or would you be willing to do a "paint by Behr numbers" on a Wigeon?

I have a Wigeon ready to go to paint but I am really unsure of colors.

Chad A

a "paint by Behr numbers" on a Wigeon?

I have a Wigeon ready to go to paint but I am really unsure of colors.

Chad A[/QUOTE]

Boy would I love to see that! I have a pr of Herters 63 Widgeon awaiting filling and Sanford Coating, and another foam sleeper Widgeon that took a full load of shot owing to a buddy shooting out of pitching boat for the first time! (that is his excuse, I'll let him go with that)

as pretty as that Wigeon I keep going back to the Whimbrel....simply gorgeous.....I can't recall but didn't you do an Eskimo Curlew last year for the auction that I got the Whimbrel in?.......or was that the event you did the silhouettes for?....

Gorgeous.....did I say that?.....

Looking forward to seeing the Solitary finished....they're aren't many that would know one when they see them...are they in breeding plumage or still molting into it?.....

Steve

Bob,

You make it so simple,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, it's maddening I tell you, maddening! It is a good thing I only carve a few decoys once in a while, gives me an excuse to be a hacker. ;>)

Steve, thanks for pointing out were I can improve. It won't be long till I give it another try. These little birds are fun to make and a little change of pace.
Thanks for sending the pattern book to me. I wouldn't have tried to make one if you hadn't. Much appreciated, Jeff

Good morning, Steve~

Thanks for the kind words!

The long-billed sandpiper you recall from me last year was a Whimbrel. I have not yet done an Eskimo Curlew but plan to someday.

Here is the Solitary we watched last week (photo by my friend Jim Schanz with his brand new lens). I would say full nuptial plumage (?). My 2 carvings are already flawed because I did not run the primaries all the way aft!!!

We got to watch it for a bit - so much like its bigger Yellowlegs cousins and so different from a Spotted.

-G1ngpOxIwdgJ4qCvLkzOl7QWXdRUOxElDdo-hsLJY8_zpswmwxvn3l.jpg

All the best,

SJS

Back