One more introduction

Thank you Steve for your welcome to this forum. I am looking forward to all the great decoy and hunting related posts. It will be a great pleasure to share decoy carving ideas with everyone. I am excited to post some of my images from regular waterfowl decoys to the "different species" that I carve.....including the Curlew and the black grouse!

On the "other" forum, I used to post images from my folders that I had stored in my computer. Hopefully I can still do this here. A very helpful member here instructed me on the procedure using an outside storage location. I just opened an account on imageshack, but I haven't uploaded any images yet.....( I was hoping that I could do this from my computer instead)!

I Thank you again for your kind assitance.

Keith

Hi Jack,

Thank you Jack, good running into you again here......since last week at Jimmy's house over a plate of good calamari!! Are you finished gunning now? It seemed like a long season for you!

TTYL,

Keith

but you have to "upload" to the site first......not a major problem since an "upload" is an "upload" whether its to an offsite storage location or to the site.....the "issue" that you might have is that the site limits file size to "undere 100 KB and there is also a restriction on the number of pictures you can add per post.....

For that reason posters that want to post "large" files for their better quality and who want to put lots of pictures on a single post the "outside storage" locations are the better option....no need to resize and lose quality, (just keep width under 1000 so that people don't have to scroll side to side to see the picture), no limit to the number of pictures on a post, and once uploaded its as simple as copying the html and entering it into the body of yor post where you need it......hit the "preview" the first couple of times to make sure the pictures are where you want them to be and if you run into a problem just give a shout.....(it's easier and quicker than it seems--TRUST ME if I can figure it out anyone can)....

Pictures...we love pictures here....we're a simple folk and love the visual stimulation.....

Steve

Hi Eric, Thank you! I am looking forward to enjoying the conversations with all the great people here! I think I still have the merganser carving and painting demo in my files, if anyone is interested maybe it can be posted here! If so, I can email the folder to someone and they can post it. It is good to hear that an argument won''t happen because of calling a decoy art, instead of just a decoy, that's very refreshing!

Thank you for mentioning my book, and I will post the info ad for it (as soon as I figure out how)......but for now if anyone is interested, my publishers name is Jimmy Hunt, and his ph number is: 631 928 5920 in Port Jefferson, NY.

I will be glad to discuss nares or (nostrils) in a short demo, as soon as I get caught up answering everyone, and I get it through my thick skull how to post images.

Once again, I appreciate all your comments and support.

Keith

Hi Spencer,

Wow!! Thank you for your very kind words, I don't know if I could live up to them!! You are a very talented young man, and your carving ability is stunning. I only wish that I had your talent when I was your age, you have a true gift and natural talent.....keep working your inspirations, your heart will guide you!

I just wanted you to know that I still am enjoying the peanuts, they have a special place on my shelf over my carving bench (the chocolate covered ones were finished a long time ago)!!

Keep creating your beautiful art.....it will inspire many for many years to come!

Your friend,

Keith

Hey Lou,

How are you?? There you go again telling all those "duck tales"!! That was a fun time on Cape Cod, I honestly forgot you and Gene naming Gus "Kujo"......that story brought a tear to my eye! Can you believe we sat on that breakwater in 55+ knot winds with sheets of horizontal rain; can you ever remember being that wet? BTW.....your eider paintjob was pretty good, but do you remember that decoy weighed nearly 15 pounds!!

Do you remember sitting in the trucks watching the eiders packed in behind that 50 foot tall breakwater while waves broke over the top of that same wall? THose were huge waves.....I think we made the correct decision to just sit and watch.......waterskiing in an 18 foot Lund was not one of my favorite activities!!

Thanks for the trip back to our hunt on Cape Cod in the "perfect storm"!

Best to you,

Keith

ps. Say Hi to Gene!

Hi Steve, good to hear from you and Thank You!

I am glad to talk about any subject, and will be glad to help in any way I can. Talking "oils" is one of my favorite subjects!

I am looking forward to finish that eider pair for you, and would also would be happy to Remarque my book for you with the same pair of eiders.......that would be very special. Let me know when you are ready, although it doesn't look like I am going to be caught up for quite some time, I will sneak them in for you when you are ready.

Thank YOu again,

Keith

Hi Jack,

Thank you for the welcome. I am sorry that I and many of my carving friends didn't sign on sooner, we didn't know about this forum regarding decoy carving. Now we do, so we will enjoy the great membership here.

Thanks again,

Keith

Hi Chuck,

My book is available in two editions; the Workbook Edition and the Collectors Edition. Both books are hardcover, the workbook has a printed cover and jacket, and the collectors has a leather type cover and matching sleeve with gold foil trim and logo. The book is approx 500 pages and large size (approx 10 x 13). The Collectors Edition is signed and numbered and is limited to 500 copies. We do have a few copies of this edition still available. You can purchase the book by calling my publisher Jimmy Hunt at: 631 928 5920 in NY to make payment and shipping arrangements. If anyone on this forum who purchases a copy would like it inscribed and have a perncil remarque (my compliments) please let Jimmy know that I will do this for you, and he will tell me, and I will mail it from my studio. Let Jimmy know your favorite waterfowl species so I can make it custom for you.

Thanks again,

Keith

I still contend that the eider decoys are really life size and the guys holding them are just really short.

Oh and post the merg tutorial. Everybody will love it.

Last edited:
Keith,
Nice to see you here. Eric told me about this site, and I thought I would check it out.Nice to see you here. I signed up tonight, and it will take awhile to learn how this all works. I talk to you later....Tom

Hey Keith, Glad to see you on the site, and look forward to your posts. But you know if you are up here you are not down in the shop and there are allot of carvings to be finished. I will give you a call and stop in again. It is always a pleasure to talk to you and some of the things you tell me do sink in, even if it takes years. Pete

Were all done. Pulled the rig out of our Riverhead lot and brought it home. Our totals were good but not great. I'm sure Jimmy, Myself and Big Gus will be up to visit shortly. Anything to get out of Montauk. I've got a few Codfish trips comming up so it will probably be toward the end of the month

This is my first attempt at posting images......not very successful, but I will keep working on it. I also tried to post them inline in my post but they ended up as attachments.......I will keep working on it!

Anyway, here is a "three-on-one keel" common merganser/cormorant decoy I carved entitled "Goodspeed Cafe".....long story, which is in my book.

View attachment IMG_9737.JPG

View attachment IMG_9742.JPG

View attachment IMG_9751.JPG

View attachment IMG_9824.JPG

View attachment IMG_9843.JPG

Anyway, back to the drawing board!

Last edited by a moderator:
Last edited by a moderator:

Keith,

If you are in the basic editor mode, click on the buttom that says image, paste the URL of the picture, then click on the image button again.

You said you signed up for an image shack account, there should be a place beside or under your image once you upload it to copy an IMG code, that can just be pasted into the text, in either the advanced or basic editor.

Awesome decoys!

Chuck

THank you Steve, I appreciate your help. You have made it very clear for me, and I'm not sure about "if you can figure it out anyone can"......I think you met your match!! I understand the complexities of color, but I can't find my way out of any corner when it comes to computers!!

What "outside storage" site would you recommend? I signed up for imageshack, but I am having trouble with that one....I can't see anywhere on their site to adjust the size of the images I uploaded to anything other than thumbnail sizes.

Pictures; I've got pictures.......tens of thousands of them! I just can't figure out what to do with them!!

Thank you again,

Keith

Keith

I use Photobucket...not familair with image shack and where all the menues are. Give me a call if you'd like, I PMed you my phone number.

Chuck

THank you Chuck!! I really appreciate that!! With your help, I will review your suggestions and see if I can actually do this!

Thanks again, that was very kind of you!

Keith

Back