One more introduction

Hi Keith, Welcome to our home. I'm sure you will find that we fit like old slippers. That's why many of us have been here for more than ten years.

You are real close to getting your pics in your post. To get this one in I saved your original to my computer, downloaded to here after checking "inline". Then when I wanted it in the post I clicked on the picture frame way over on the right side of the post header. When that window opened there are two catagories to select from, either "image location" or "inline image". Select "inline Image" then the name of the picture. Remember that on here your picture file can not have any spaces in it. As an example, I labeled this pic in my computer as KMredbreasted.jpg - no spaces.

View attachment KMredbreasted.JPG

WOW awesome welcome to the site. those three fighting over the snake is one of the neatest decoys I have seen.

Keith, I am all smiles...there are those fabulous RBM. Simply love those.

I have never see that trio one you did, that is incredible. Reminds me of the star fish eider one you did with the stellars. Great stuff.

Nice to see Tom here too. Ever finish that swan?

Thanks John, as soon as I figure out how I will. I am not sure about the size of hunters......you have been known to make a decoy a little large yourself!!

If you know how to post the tutorial let me know......I don't have a clue!

Keith

Tom, good to see you here........although you should be at your bench painting; you have a lot of birds to finish!

Pete, its been a long time......about a week! You too better get carving, you need a few more decoys in your rig!

Thank you Ryan, I am glad you like them. I will post more images of my decoys......I will try and show all the different types I carve.

Thanks again.

Thank you Pete, I appreciate your welcome. I am very impressed with the warm welcome I have received. It is such a pleasure to be accepted into the group. Thanks for the help about posting images, I will give it a try.

Regards,

Keith

Thank you MIke, I am happy you like the decoys, and also appreciated mergansers......common mergansers are my second favorite species (behind eiders).

Thanks Eric, glad you enjoyed the images of the rbm's and the commons/cormorant. As soon I feel more comfortable posting images, I will put the spectacled eider rig with the sea cucumber and sea star.

Thanks again.

Keith

Test....

View attachment sdkrig1.jpg
This is a sea duck rig that I was commissioned to carve for a collector of mine. Most of the birds were carved in "classic" designs with a few carved with contemporary designs.

Keith.....close again...see my note below this post.....don't forget.HIT PREVIEW to see if it worked......

Steve

Last edited by a moderator:
and you were RIGHT THERE on the pictures you just left off a step or two.....

all you needed to do to complete it was to mark the photos INLINE when you uploaded them.......then when you were typing your note when you want a picture place your cursor, (mines a little black bar that blinks but yours is, in all likliehood, a hand carved collection of pixels in the shape of a flock of feeding Whiskered Auklets that dives), where you want the upper left hand corner of the picture....leave the cursor there....move your mouse, (mines plastic--yours is likely carved into the lifelikeness of a Saltmarsh Meadow Mouse and will run on its on wherever you tell it to go), up into the tool bar at the top of the field where you are typing....second from the right in that tool bar is a little icon that looks like, (some say), a framed picture.....put your pointer on that little framed picture and left click on your mouse and you'll get a pop up in that asks "file location"....click IN LINE....and you're list of uploaded "in line" photos will appears....mark one, hit enter and it will appear wherever you positioned your cursor........

Once the picture is there you'll note that the cursor is now in the lower right hand corner of the picture....hit enter to skip down a couple of lines or everything will end up being added to the right.....add text, or additional pictures, until you are done...hit "preview" to make sure that it worked....hit enter and you're done.....other than putting on that freshly ironed NERD HERD T-shirt now that you're a computer maven......

I'm not familiar with the storage provider that you are using...I use Photobucket....if you use that one I can tell you how to get to the correct sized picture....on the one you're using I'd look for a tab that says "other options", or perhaps "set up options".....one of those should lead you to a screen where you can choose image size....

BTW I put the pictures up in the original posts so they are now visible in the post......

Steve

Thank you Steve, I really appreciate all your help! I will keep working on it, and I am sure I will get the hang of it! I have decided to just resize the images on my computer and store all the images in a seperate folder that I can access for this forum. I printed out all your instructions and I will follow them through the process.
Thanks again,

Keith

Hello- and welcome- we have met yrs ago i bought some old Ct. decoys from Dixon- and met you then- i own two of the much oversized decoys- one hen scoter- made from cork- with a clam in he mouth and a eider- thats wood-- very fun!!!

Love your work- and be well-

John

Keith, notice that I did not take much time in the way of comments. I know I have some catching up to do. My shop is starting to look like yours, how many carvings can one guy start and set aside when another idea comes to mind. You know what our friend Dave says about that..... " as an artist, you never have to explain what you feel like working on.

I see there are many friends here that we both know. Eric told me I would feel at home here, and I do. Spencer is here, Zach, Steve, John, I am sure as the weeks go by I'll see even more familiar names. When I get time I will go back and read the lesson on posting pictures and see if I can show you what I have been up to....

All is set for Ocean City. Plane , car , room...I guess I should make a decoy or two...... Back to work......

Hello Keith,

I just saw a copy of your newest book. It is pretty awesome to say the least. I am not much of a carver, but I really enjoyed all of the pictures. I can't get enough of eider pics! It was cool to see a couple places I think I might have reconized as well!

I have to tell you, I LOVE the flapper eider decoy.

Very well done!

Last edited:
THanks Mike, I am glad you liked the rig!

Hi John, THank you for the welcome. That was quite a few years ago, I think that was when Dixon still lived in Guilford. The rest of those cork scoters from that rig have changed hands so many times, I lost track of them. I am glad that you still have one; now I know where at least one of them is located.

Thanks again,

Keith

Hey Tom, good to see you here! Its been a long time.......since our last phone call yesterday!!

When are you going to post some of your fantastic decoys!!! I know everyone will go crazy over them!!

I'll give you a call tomorrow!

I am still laughing with that one Phil!! :) I have only hunted over that rig a few times, but it was fun to just sit back and watch them ride the waves......and of course watching the flocks of eiders come to them!

THank you Bill, I think you are correct! I remember a few black backs trying to rip the carved mussel out of one of my scoter decoys.....they almost succeeded! In fact I believe it was the cork scoter that Mr. Ford mentioned (above) that he owns. That brings back memories.

THank you Capt. Brian, I am happy you enjoyed it! You are correct, many of those locations you recognized are exactly where you think they are......all great locations, just beautiful. One of my favorite spots was "house on rock", an interesting location to hunt!

Take Care,

Keith

Back