September "What's on your Workbench?"

september is shaping up for another great workbench thread, great job all.
Pat try to get a picture of the redheads on the water, i'd love to see them working.

check what will a completed swan weigh?

I'm hoping for around 10 pounds on the pair in the second pic which are smaller (28") than the 'Master of the Marsh' size (36")finished next to it. I am making them a little smaller and lighter for ease of use. My personal one from my rig is about 20 pounds, but the six I did for the Westlake Pool were 25 if not more as I was taking NO chances of them not self righting. For strictly gunning, I could care less if they self right, but you do need a little lead to take the bounce out of the butt.

Chuck

Alright, I wasn't really planning on posting this, but figured a certain "someone" might enjoy seeing what might show up on his door step in the near future. The vast majority will be headed to Washington, with the remaining birds making their way elsewhere. Cork bodies, basswood heads and acrylic paint are the major ingredients. Are they rig worthy, Gary? :)

IMAG0554.jpg

Take Care,
GW

Thanks Pat! Them redheads are going to do the job this fall.I second the request for on the water photos of the rig!

I am getting ready to leave for my Manitoba trip soon so here is what just came off my work bench float tested and weights and rigging tomorrow.
Would have liked to get some water shots or at least outside instead of spread on the floor but hey it works.

2011-09-06-Decoys-01.jpg

Love the scoters Mike...especially that surf scoter. He would look real nice next to the mount I should be getting back from the taxidermist any day now. Just sayin'...

Steve

Nice rig Brandon, something about that collection catches my eye. Be sure to post a few pics of them in action north of the border!

Thanks Dave!

Bill - That common merg is reminiscent of Ferdinand Bach. Also, sweet little ruddies...

Just carved some Illinois River style mallards from great grandpa's 1920 pattern. One is a drake going to the Lockport Duck Club here on the Illinois River. The other is a black mallard going to my good friend Tim Speight. I thank God for the legacy my great grandpa left me. Leave one to your kids and grandkids...
View attachment PICT0149.JPG
View attachment PICT0148.JPG
View attachment PICT0147.JPG
View attachment PICT0150.JPG
View attachment PICT0151.JPG

Last edited:
Thanks guys! I'm sure they'll be put to good use and if all goes as planned, maybe some "in action" pictures will be posted.

-GW

THe duck carving took a back seat for awhile. This project is a sea island one design. It is the 9th in its class. All wood no glass. The boats have been raced for years. The plans came from Mystic and are dated 1948.

View attachment DSC_0055.JPG

This is the maiden voyage. The race day was two days later. she won some silver!

View attachment DSC_0098.JPG

Here is a group of ringnecked. Bills need painting.

View attachment DSC_0016.JPG

View attachment DSC_0035.JPG

View attachment DSC_0037.JPG

Great to see everyone's work, and feel the excitement of fall. We had our first little cool spell today. As always special thanks to you John for this thread. And by the way I'm going to reach that goal of 50 decoys this year.

Frank

www.Middletonboatworks.net

Back