What's on your Work Bench ? MARCH 2018

Man, you ARE really going old school! Started out that way back in 1975, then discovered power. I felt like mister toad from Wind in the Willows. By some chance, did you put the body together vertically, as opposed to horizontally? Interesting way to deal with the seam.[smile]

Tom, that shot made more sense to me! Thanks. My clue was looking at the tail, which appeared wider with the pieces attached vertically.
It will make more sense when you shoot it in a more complete condition!
Thanks for the heads up.[blush]

Open time is about 30 minutes. About 8 hours to sanding. I usually fill black cork by top half and bottom half on separate days.

Phil, very nice work! I won't ask you how many hours you have invested, since your effort is evident! Please, post a finished picture when you reach the end...

Steve - I have routed a groove and poured lead for a weight some years back. Recently, I just add a surface mounted "Al McCormick" style weight. The flat keels work well on dabblers when the tide goes down and the decoys ground in shallows upright.

Joe

Joe~

I have made the same sort of keel weight mold. I used a core box bit to plow a couple of lengths - I think 7 ounces and 10 ounces - in a piece of Oak.

All the best,

SJS

Dave, nice work to flock the heads and paint them with such painstaking accuracy.
May I suggest you steal some "Strong as Nails" polish from your spouse and put a couple of coats on the eyes to make them "pop"! How many bodies did you end up getting out of that foam? Did you ever expose a head to the hammer test to gauge how they will hold up?

Last edited:
Also tends to protect stuff on the bottom. Reminds me of some of the Al McCormick stuff on a shelf in the shop.[smile]

RLLigman said:
Dave, nice work to flock the heads and paint them with such painstaking accuracy.
May I suggest you steal some "Strong as Nails" polish from your spouse and put a couple of coats on the eyes to make them "pop"! How many bodies did you end up getting out of that foam? Did you ever expose a head to the hammer test to gauge how they will hold up?

Actually Rick, I did not flock the heads, that is just flat black on the Premium Select Vermont Wood Flour (John Bourbon's bandsaw collection) that I run though a flour sifter. 2 coats. I followed your suggestion and covered the eyes with the clear polish, and wow, what a difference! They almost look like glass eyes.

I ended up with 24 bodies out of the old foam I had on hand. I ordered another 4lb kit which arrived. I will make one body with it today just to have a heads up comparison. I then plan to make the fiberglass containment mold for the silicone. I had some expansion of the mold, probably a good 15 to 20% I would guess. I think I will see more definition from the mold, and use some less foam too. Really they are fine, but I am using this all as a process learning exercise really. Just to know how to do all the steps.

What do do next? I think this body would be a real nice teal body too. Need to find a GW and BW head to make a mold from perhaps.... yes, they are small, but so are teal!

I have not done the hammer test. I have 7 left I think. I hate to waste one! There are a few guys on FB asking for heads and bodies. IDK that I care to go down that route, but maybe just for this exercise, I can recoup my material costs that way. I know Maria would appreciate that! I get that look every time a package arrives!

Back