What's on your Work Bench ? MARCH 2018

Good morning, Jode~

Interesting your "relationship" with Snows. I chased them for a few years - with many frustrating mornings. I became much more content once I unilaterally listed them as Non-Game about 10 years ago. Now I just enjoy their sights and sounds - and no longer leap into Strategizer/Pursuit mode.....

Nice bird!

All the best,

SJS

Steve Sanford said:
Good morning, Jode~

Interesting your "relationship" with Snows. I chased them for a few years - with many frustrating mornings. I became much more content once I unilaterally listed them as Non-Game about 10 years ago. Now I just enjoy their sights and sounds - and no longer leap into Strategizer/Pursuit mode.....

Nice bird!

All the best,

SJS

Thanks Steve, My feelings exactly. Delaware bay where I hunt winters many thousands, and they feed in the fields by my home. However even with 1500 bird rigs, they seem to get smarter all the time.

Last edited:

In my experience when you do not try so hard the birds will come to you.

This only happens after sanity leaves you, and then returns later on.

Snows are ya either Love em or Hate em, until you reach the point of not caring.

The work from both of you guys are spot on. Two thumbs up!

Good morning, Jode and Vince ~

That "pickleweed" found a body (Homer Brant) - and morphed into a Blue Goose.....

View attachment Blue Goose on water 03 SMALL.JPG

I met a gunner recently who hunts Snows in western NY. They get mostly Lessers there - and see lots of Blues. Here in eastern NY, it's mostly Greaters, with just a few percent Blues.

All the best,

SJS

Vince Pagliaroli said:
Steve

The Blue looks good. They are classy birds as well as decoys, and make good additions to rigs.

A Greater Snow and Lesser Blue. White pine, Sugar pine, canvas/wire decoys I made some time ago, hanging around, to spice up the rig.

That will add flavor for sure Vince!

Jode

Thanks.

It is always good to carve/make decoys of the birds that play such a important role in our lives.

I never tire of seeing other decoy carvers/makers homage to the birds. You keep the tradition going, and that is SO important.

DecoyMonsterMachine

Ya got a good EYE!

I carved that Brant back in the 80's. During my Brant & Gooseaholic days.

Jimmy Bowden sent me some goose and Brant head blanks, that were from I do believe, Ira Hudson patterns. He bandsawed them from red aromatic cedar. Not easy to carve, but man o man did it smell Good!

I used one on that Brant, and two Canada goose head blanks, on my Giant Canada black cork gunners. Those heads are tough as nails. Geese still see action, but the Brant is retired until I get back to the East Coast.

I set the other blanks aside for safe keeping, and then began to make my own patterns.

Yet I must give credit where credit is due.

The old masters did it best, and as much as we try, can not improve upon their work. Just try to keep it goin'.

Colin

Mighty fine "Floating Sculpture" GWT, and uncommon decoy for that area, ya carved. Grand birds in every aspect, and ya did it justice.

Vince Pagliaroli said:
Colin

Mighty fine "Floating Sculpture" GWT, and uncommon decoy for that area, ya carved. Grand birds in every aspect, and ya did it justice.

Thanks Vince I appreciate it! I like to stick closely to the style you are describing

Good morning, Vince~

I think I have a pretty fair search image for Brant implanted in my brain - it being one of my favorites, too - but I cannot find the decoy in your photo of which George speaks....

Is it still too cold to climb up in the loft and get some portraits of this Mystery Decoy?

All the best,

SJS

Steve Sanford said:
Good morning, Vince~

I think I have a pretty fair search image for Brant implanted in my brain - it being one of my favorites, too - but I cannot find the decoy in your photo of which George speaks....

Is it still too cold to climb up in the loft and get some portraits of this Mystery Decoy?

All the best,

SJS

Click on the embedded image, then click again. Look for a bird hanging in the background with a brant's rump to tail feather contour.

Good morning Steve

George and I have been buddies for a long time, and have, as they say "gone back and forth about decoys and each others work". So he knows what to look for, good and not so good...[;)]

The Brant is hanging just behind the Snow Goose decoy. If that IS the decoy George sees.

All that is visible of it in the photo, are the bottom of the decoy and the white markings on the neck.

How DecoyMonsterMachine was able to tell it is a Brant?

I attribute to his teaching background. Obi powers, to sense decoys no matter where they lurk, and try to hide from his scrutiny.

There is a photo of the decoy on file, and I will ask my wife to find it and enable me to post it. It's still chilly up there, but I'll get it down and take a few photo's soon as possible.

Best regards
Vince

Steve

Here it is.

Robert Capriola was one of the judges at the Ohio show, back in the day. I hold him in very high regard, especially when it comes to Brant. So 2nd place really meant something to me, and still does. I keep some of the old ribbons in place now when decoys are not in use so my wife knows, just in case...

View attachment brant.jpg

Best regards
VP

Gorgeous bird, Vince!

Of course, you carved it in THE posture for this species - swimming forward into the current of the ebbing tide.

All the best,

SJS

Back