March "What's on your Workbench?"

One more Oldsquaw...headed to Westlake

12-OS02-4.jpg

12-OS02-3.jpg

Jeff - In the spirit of traditional decoys I use an old black hat pin eye on most of my decoys. I also use the old coke bottle or amber eyes at times. Years ago at the Oshkosh Decoy Show, I found a gentleman who had 30,000 pairs of the old black hat pin eyes he had acquired from Herters. They were in boxes of 1,000. I bought two boxes and am into the second box. I use 8mm. Here are some samples of decoys with them...
View attachment PICT0178.JPG
View attachment PICT0198.JPG
View attachment PICT0205.JPG
View attachment PICT0167.JPG
View attachment PICT0245.JPG

Thanks Pat. Since BB's are notoriously dumb and will decoy to their dead comrades floating in the deeks, I suppose that these will work

Here's a progress update,

I fit the head with a mahogany dowell to locate, attach to body, and add strength.

I then check that head and stick will fit inside body cavity.

Then I test fit head before I carve it, and drill hole for the ground rod.

Not carved in March but I did put some finishing touch ups on them and cleaned the eyes up today. Will keel Monday to take with me to Ohio

securedownloadFFF.jpg

Hey Jode,
What kind of wood and how many laminations are in those great turkeys?
Love your work, hope to talk at Westlake, John

Gary, if your hunting over them. We want photos photos and some more photos.

Some great looking birds there Guys.

Thanks larry, I will keep you updated. I think you'll enjoy seeing how they come together. I have a couple special additions I'll be adding to this years hens.

Gary, thanks, I'll know you put yours to good use.

Thanks Bob, Paul I'm making a few of them now, all need to be ready by the spring gunning seasons.

John, They are made from 2 peices of kiln dried White cedar. They started life a 5"X9"'s. Big clear pieces like that are hard to find, but when you buy enough wood some supplier's will keep their eye out for you on primo stuff like that.

Unfortunatley I will not be at either Ohio show this year. Just too much going on.

Last edited:
Geoff, loved to see the screaming scotter when its done.

Jode also makes some beatuiful box style calls.

Phil

Back