March "What's on your Workbench?"

Thanks for the kind words fellows. I just heard from the guy I made the black duck for and he is happy with it. You always have that worry you know. The redhead will be available next weekend if you might want to see him. I'll have the black with me also until he's picked up should you want a closer look.

John: Stunning. Is the redhead from the 2x lumber? The grain looks consistent with one piece and not laminated? Either way it is fantastic. The black, well, even more so. I really wish I could be at Westlake to meet you and some of my other carving heroes. Maybe next year.

Dave: Nice Can. Are the black line used to line up the halves or are they some kind of staple or fastening device? Hard to tell from the picture. Post up when it's wearing some duds.

Mike

i know who's getting the black and can't wait to see it in person. i wish i could go to westlake, maybe next year.

Ringneck.jpg

Jode,

Those turkey decoys are just too cool. Really like the one you hunted over in 2010, the one pictured on your website. Someday...

Have a great sping season. Troy

Chris I like that Black duck too.

Troy, Thanks, I still have that big decoy and use it from time to time. My kids call it the teradactyl!
I have had it scare off some jakes and lesser toms, but if you can get it in front of the boss gobbler it is deadly on the dominat birds.

Your post reminded me to update the progress shots on this years birds. I have been working on the heads.

I start with a small gouge to get the basic shape.
Then move to a larger gouge to smooth things up a bit.
Next I do a little rasp work and basic shaping with some sandpaper.
I lay out the wattles, dewlap, and horn thingy, then releif carve with the knife.

Finally lots of elbow grease with the sand paper and it's done.

Great stuff everybody!

John that black duck turned out awesome. Did you use the blues and purples like you stated in your blog?

Jode your turkey decoys are too neat.

Jode: Do you extend the dowel up into the neck to reinforce the cross grain? I love the decoy. Ive been toying with making a canvas turkey with a carved head.

Thanks Ron and Steve.

Ron chasing Turkeys is addictive, they are exciting and some of the best wild game on the table.

Michael, Thanks, Yes the dowell runs almost all the way up level to the eye.

These birds are alot lighter than my earlier oversized versions. I can put one in a shoulder bag and walk all day long.

I bet a canvas version would be much lighter even yet. I say go for it.

Last edited:
Nice JOde, I need to post up the turkeys I've Done. My first was ginormous and the second a bit more reasonable. Yours look great.
Frank

Middletonboatworks.com

Kevin, Everything about that one I like. I would hunt it for a few seasons till it got rubbed really good against the other decoys and then it might find its way onto the shelf. Very nice work.

Back